Sep 22, 2014
San Ramon, CA. 94582
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
To the medical experts out there -

Our pool has an automatic opaque pool cover. When I opened it this morning to get water samples for my TF-100 test kit, I found a dead deer mice floating on the surface. Our property is backing into a greenbelt area so we have a lot of wild-life and we are conscious about "hantavirus" that deer mice carry. Here is some info on the disease -> Q&A: Deer mice carry fatal, incurable disease - The Orange County Register . I've taken the dead mouse away and discarded it.

The test results (before adding LC) were: FC = ~2.5 ppm; CC = 0 ppm; CYA =35 ppm; TA = ~110 ppm; pH = 7.3 ppm; CH = ~375-400 ppm.

I upped the FC to ~5 ppm after the test. Should I still be concerned about the pool water due to the "hantavirus" if the mouse have it? Or would the chlorine in the water sufficient enough to kill the virus if present?

Coming from the pool, I would not worry about them at all. With the chlorine in the pool, I don't worry about anything serious being introduced. Living in the country, I get all sorts of critters and fish dead mice out of my pool several times a season. I just toss them out into the back yard as food for our resident red hawk. Last summer my wife saw me toss one out and said the hawk nailed it before it bounced a second time.

Coming from the pool, I would not worry about them at all. With the chlorine in the pool, I don't worry about anything serious being introduced. Living in the country, I get all sorts of critters and fish dead mice out of my pool several times a season. I just toss them out into the back yard as food for our resident red hawk. Last summer my wife saw me toss one out and said the hawk nailed it before it bounced a second time.

Thanks for the reassurance, Propbndr! I'll let my wife and kids know not to also worry - but I think I might have caused them to :) .

- - - Updated - - -

He wasn't related to that MLM (Mostly Liquid Mouse) that was discovered yesterday, was he ?

Hmmm, I do not get it, duraleigh. What is MLM? Sorry...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.