Dirt in pool after pouring Muriatic Acid

Jun 1, 2015
toronto
Hi everyone, while opening the pool this year I noticed crystallization on the walls and floors of the pool, after searching around on the forum we came to the conclusion that the PH of the water was high, we poured in 4L of acid to bring down the PH and took care of balancing the rest of the chemicals in the water. Yesterday I tested the water and the PH was still over 8.0 so we poured in another 4L of acid (note the second pour was about a week after the first), after about 2-3 mins I noticed that the jets in the pool started shooting dirt out of all the nozels, its very fine dirt a little finer than salt grains, I am trying to figure out exactly what this was. Could it be that the acid is reacting with the crystallization on the floors and walls and breaking it down into a finer grain? I tested the water again today and the PH is still high so will have to pour another jug of acid to bring it down. everything else chemical was was ok, FC:10, CC:00 etc.

That is a big old pool :)

It may be something being dislodged that your seeing, with your PH up that high you could have had some calcium scaling but all the pictures I have seen have been a whitish/grayish color.. How does the water look? could you post a picture so we can see the water and maybe a shot of fine dirt?

The dirt (discolored substance) came out right after the acid hit the bottom suction of the pool so I am 99.99% sure it had something to do with the acid, I read on the forum that if you pour acid on calcium build up it breaks it down which is what I assume has happened, this being said the filter was clean and backwashed. The crystallization on the walls and floors is the same/similar to in the video below, I managed to scrape 80% off with the pool brush. When we opened the pool and went inside for the first time the floors were very rough.

I should also point out I brushed most of the calcification towards the bottom suction of the pool when we initially opened it this year so I assume there was a massive build up of that in and around the bottom suction inlet.

High pH Pool Water Result In Extreme Calcification - YouTube

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.