Smoked Baby back ribs with grilled corn

Dec 29, 2015
Chino/CA
So, my "usual" Sunday is either smoking something or grilling something for dinner, yesterday I decided on some baby backs and whole corn:

1st I start by removing the membrane from the back of the rack, they say if you're good, you can remove the whole piece all together:

With ribs, I usually dry rub them 1st and smoke them, then add BBQ sauce, so for my proprietary rub (LoL) I use garlic salt, garlic powder, black pepper, old bay, onion powder and ground ginger (I forgot to add it to the picture):

Then, I trim a little fat from the rack:

Next, we add the dry spices:

I like to "brine" my whole corn:

Then, the ribs are off to the smoker!!! I use mesquite lump charcoal for the heat and pieces of cherry wood for the flavor:

About once an hour I brush the ribs with a mixture of apple juice and apple cider vinegar:

Getting there!!!

After about 3 hours I wrap it in foil and leave it in the smoker for about 2 more hours, so this was after being in the foil for 2 hours:

Then, I baste it up with some Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce and grill the rack on the direct heat for a good 5-10 minutes basting as needed:

So, here we have the final product with my favorite beer!!!!

Nice thread.

I just started up my Big Green Egg smoker today at noon. I have family over so I got 3 racks (~12 pounds) of St. Louis Style ribs. I trimmed the ribs (basically just removed the membrane and cut the racks to fit into my upright rib-rack), patted them dry and then did a thin film of dijon mustard & avocado oil on the surface. Then I hit it with my rub (dark brown sugar, paprika, garlic/onion powder, ginger, black pepper & a pinch of salt) and let soak in fridge for 2 hours.

09D38A4D-0533-44CB-8FC0-987DB5301289_zps2pwx8ffu.jpg

Got my smoker up to 250F and the rack is in....Plan is to do 2 to 2-1/2 hours in the smoke, then pull the ribs and foil wrap them. Then I let them cook for another 2-1/2 hours in foil and see where we are at. I don't usually do the BBQ sauce slather at the end and just let folks choose if they want sauce or not at the dinner table. I honestly just preferred the smoke meat with the flavorful bark and will just dip in some BBQ sauce if I feel like it.

Final product -

34807249-B8AE-4938-85A7-7637FC02D11C_zpsgrhjfpma.jpg

1E53E747-5003-456E-AFAA-052B7CB59796_zpsbwlvwrlj.jpg

The meat practically fell off the bones. Lots of good flavor and the perfect amount of smoke & sweetness. 12lbs of ribs all gone. Many happy faces and lots of full bellies.

I bet JN!!! They look fantastic!!!

Thanks Mark!!! Its funny because, I think if I didn't get into the I.T. field, I definitely would have became a chef! Aside from BBQ'ing, I also enjoy cooking other dishes as well, American, Italian, Irish, Mexican, various Asian dishes.......I literally have pictures of almost everything I cook!! LoL

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Wish me luck...I have an untrimmed 12lbs beef brisket to smoke :D It's going to require a 12hr smoke and I've already gotten plenty of warnings that they are super easy to dry out / over cook and turn into shoe leather. Going to be a major challenge

Yeah, I've smoked a brisket only a few times....I would recommend a digi thermometer to ensure you know exactly where you're at!

Yes. I just got one a few weeks back. I need to install it today. It's a dual probe unit - one probe monitors the smoker temp the other probe monitors food temp. It also comes with a 2nd remote unit so I can monitor from inside the house.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.