Slide Unusable Due to Calcium Deposits

May 22, 2016
Friendswood/TX
I had my IG pool installed in the Spring of 2013. After about a month of use, we noticed calcium deposits on the slide and notified the pool builder. The first response was "calcium happens". The calcium buildup got worse within a 2nd month of use and I notified the pool builder. He did not come out to see the situation himself, but sent his subcontractor "rock guys" out to fix the problem.

Attempt 1 included the rock guys chiseling a path for water the leave the ledge more quickly. If failed. Attempt 2 about a month later, the rock guys added some unsightly mortar/brown coat on top of some of the rocks, presumably to keep the water on top of the rocks and not seep below the rock. Attempts 3 & 4 the PB sent out his service technician to pour acid down the slide to remove the calcium. It removed much of the calcium, but also took off the slippery clear cost and about 1/4-inch off the slide surface brown coat.

My theory is this: the grotto area was constructed with gunnite. Later rock was applied to the top of the concrete and along the grotto face. I believe there are voids between the rock and concrete which allows large volumes of water to get trapped or collect between the rocks and concrete surface. This water then leaks out through hairline cracks over many hrs/days and deposits calcium on the slide surface. I think the solution is to remove the rock and any grout. Reinstall the rocks with proper grout (reduced efflorescent) and fill every void with grout. Redo slide surface completely.

This is really frustrating as the pool design, installation, equipment, etc... is all good. Just this one item is really really bad :(

Have any of you guys seen something like this before? Not just small spots of calcium or slight haze.

Attachments

• Slide Calcium Issue.jpg
    Slide Calcium Issue.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 132
From the looks of that 90% of the deposits are coming from that crack and the rest is coming from the top of your rocks (maybe splashout)

Fiberglass would work great but that stuff is an art and if you have never used it this could turn out bad...

The epoxy is about the easiest option, see on step 7 you would need to fill the crack with that durathane... How to Paint a Pool with Epoxy Paint - INYOPools.com

Do you know how the water is getting in that crack or above it?

If you are still under warranty maybe have them do the epoxy paint and seal :)

It should be covered by the PB under warranty but he has not fixed it yet. He does not respond to email not answer a phone. His secretary will send me an email stating they will schedule a repair...I wait 2 or 3 months, they appologize and again say they qill schedule repair, repeat, repeat. Very frustrating. The water comes from rain and also frm the waterfall which we run 1hr a day to keep the lines clear.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Pool builder completely redid rocks and slide of the grotto. They found the following mistakes in the original build: (1) used porous rocks, (2) voids in the grout allowing water in, (3) improper grout mix so it was porous, (4) did not clean rocks so grout did not stick. The new installation looks way better and I am so happy. Pool builder took 3 yrs to make it right but he did it.

Good deal - the porous and improperly grouted/sealed stone and grout was your problem.

But, as originally stated, you will have CA leaching on new pools/plaster. it is recommended that the pH be kept low the first year or so, this is to prevent CA build up. However, with that water fall [which looks real refreshing], creates a lot of water agitation, which raises your pH, thus a greater propensity for scaling/calcification.

Just make sure your pH and TA are kept in check, just like your FC and CYA needs to be for the pools proper water chem's...used to pass through Friendswood all the time going to the coast when younger -good luck and glad the PB anted-up for you-tstex

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.