Swamp!

Start at the grocery store for lots of bleach. :grin: Since you don't have any test results and everything is green, we'll assume the worst, so do the following:
(FIRST - Adjust pH to 7.2) Then ........
1. Begin a SLAM and dose FC up to SLAM level. If your CYA test is showing as zero (perhaps already converted to ammonia), use a SLAM/Shock FC of 10. Do not add additional CYA at this point.
2. Retest FC at 10-minute intervals.
a. If FC loss is greater than 50%, add FC to bring back up to SLAM level and continue retesting FC @ 10-minute intervals.
b. IF FC loss is 50% or less, add FC to bring back up to SLAM level. Go to Step 3.
3. If CYA is below 30 ppm, add enough CYA to bring level up to 30 ppm.
4. Continue SLAM as directed in the SLAM article until the SLAM Criteria of Done are met. Test as directed in the SLAM article - no longer need to test FC at 10 minute increments at this point.

Then you lower pH to about 7.2 using muriatic acid. Use the Poolmath calculator to determine how much to use (link below). If you go back to post #3, it lays it all out for you. Follow those steps and you'll be on your way to performing the "SLAM". :)

If you are outside and the sun is still out (at your back) and you see the dot at 30, then your stabilizer is a bit low. It can take a day or two to really start showing-up on the CYA test, so if you just added it (stabilizer), just check again in a couple days.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just remember .. muriatic acid is to lower pH. Cyanuric acid (a.k.a. granular stabilizer/conditioner) is used to raise CYA. You can pour the muriatic acid "slowly" near a return jet(s). You can also keep a pool sweep/brush handy to help mix it around it you would like while the pump is on high.

That's what's confusing to me....if my Ph is too high I lower that before anything else - correct? Then start adding bleach to bring up FC level - correct? In the meantime, should I use the algae side to help with the green??

You have everything correct. But when you say algae side, are you referring to a chemical "algaecide"? Like from the pool store?

- - - Updated - - -

Please do not use any pool store algaecides. That's very important. Those products can work against you. In fact, they often times add copper to your water which causes a whole mess of other problems. Just stick to the regular bleach. It works great and has very little side effects. Once you adjust pH and add stabilizer, you just need the bleach to maintain your SLAM FC. It will kill the algae very well. :)

At some point, you will need to open the panels to let water flow through and purge/clean the pipes. You can start now or later, I don't think it matters too much at the moment. Most importantly is maintaining that FC SLAM level based on your current CYA. Clearing is good! Stick with it though. :)

So, just wanted to check in to make sure I'm ok! lol Been slamming for 4 days; green is gone; at the blue gatorade look right now. My FC is going from 7.5 during the day to 16 at night. I think I over compensate when I get home from work. Bad thing is no one is home during the day to test or keep things level. I get home and brush, brush, brush and put our dolphin in to clean. I'm guessing it will just take a little longer since I can't be home during the day to keep my numbers even? With the long weekend coming up hopefully I can stay on track! We did start getting the foaming on top which I remember from last year was a good thing. Just wanted your input to make sure I'm still on track!! Thanks! :D

Sounds like you're doing what you can based on your work schedule. Maintaining the FC certainly is important, so do the best you can. Foaming shouldn't be a big issue, but make sure you are using just plain liquid bleach, no scents or splashless stuff. Just basic plain bleach. "Maintain" the FC and have a nice weekend.

Looks to me like you've been SLAMming for 2 days :)

Sounds good. Understand you can't be home during the day, if you can test/add before you leave in the morning, test/add when you get home (then brush!), and then one more before bed that should be enough.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.