pH and Vacation

Jul 13, 2015
Clearwater, FL
Plan to be away for a couple weeks and want to know if the pool can handle the rising pH. I am not worried about the chlorine because that is supplied by an SWG, but the SWG does cause the pH to rise. Generally I add 12 to 14 ounces of muriatic acid every two to three days to keep the pH in range. For vacation I was figuring on dropping the pH to 7.2, which should give me 5 to 7 days of pH below 8, if I'm lucky. Will my plaster pool be ok if the pH rises above that for about a week? Thanks.

Okay, I was looking to see if your TA was higher which might warrant some quick "acid/aeration" tricks to lower TA and help keep pH from rising so fast. You still could lower TA a little more to 50-60. That might help reduce the rate of pH increase. I was also going to suggest using a few tablets for their acidity value, but your CYA is already on the high end.

So in the end, you might try to lower TA a little more before you leave, but then drop pH to the 7.0-7.2 range just before walking out the door. Even if your pH rises to 8.2, it's not over the 0.6 threshold for scale, so a lot won't happen in just a few days.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.