Water numbers

Feb 27, 2013
Hi, opened pool yesterday to light green waters. That was a first for us. Last 3 times to open with crystal cleat waters. Shocked the pool, and this morning was clear again. So out came my test kit. Here are my readings

FC 14.5
PH 7.8
TA 100
CH 140
CYA 10

So through pool math I need to raise CYA by adding Cyanuric Acid. For FC it said to add bleach
Won't that raise the FC even more? My CC was 0.

Thanks in advance for some help

In the CYA test, you fill the tube until you cannot see the black dot at the bottom. Whatever measurement its closest to is your CYA level. Just to be safe, test again. Here are the steps just to be safe:

-Fill the CYA testing bottle halfway.(bottom of label)
-fill to the top of the label with your CYA mixing solution(the biggest chemical bottle)
-replace red cap on the testing bottle and shake. Wait 30 seconds. Shake again.
-squirt the mixed solution in the CYA long tube until you can't see the black dot. Take your time with this step don't immediately squirt it all inside

If you keep getting consistent readings of 10, add more immediately. If you don't, most of your chlorine will evaporate, costing you more money in chlorine and not giving it enough time to sanitize your pool. If you get the granular CYA(it's marketed as conditioner and stabilizer), place it in a sock. Then place sock in your skimmer. Run pump 24/7 until it is all dissolved. Do not backwash for a week afterwards. The ideal CYA level is 30-40.

If it was cloudy then you can assume it was more than zero but less than 20 so I guess 10 is an ok estimate. I just get very concerned when someone posts a number for their CYA test that can't be measured with it ;)

Anyway, yes you want to add some CYA, you are low and with an SWG you are really low. PoolMath does not tell you what to do, you tell it what you want to do and it tells you how to do it. You enter your FC in the left column and then enter your target in the right column and it tells you what to do to get there. Same with all the parameters.

This is my 4th year opening my pool and I have used the pool math and this site with the test kit all along. I got some CYA so will be adding that tonight. So I shouldn't be too worried about the FC being so high at 14.5, or will that change when I get my CYA level better? Thanks everyone

How are you coming along Shari? Pool looking better?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.