Baquacil Alternative

bethdorothy,

For starters, you've made the right first call, to ditch Baquacil. While so much of this seems difficult I can promise you that once converted pool care will be considerably easier. I too have used Baquacil for over 15 years and looking back I see how much of a pain it was. We converted about 5 years ago now and love it. I've helped many users in the past convert and have yet to see somebody regret it.

Before you start anything a good FAS/DPD kit is a must. It will allow you to test your chlorine level up to the 15ppm mark which is a must for converting to chlorine. In fact the test will go up up to 50ppm on the chlorine test. The kit looks difficult but it really isn't. Once you start you'll catch on quick. The second thing to keep in mind is that a SWG produces chlorine......bleach adds chlorine. Neither one is harsher on anything as long as you keep things under control. If you install a SWG it's highly unlikely it would be able to produce enough chlorine to convert. You will need to use liquid chlorine to convert (and please don't listen to a pool store who will try to convert with Trichlor). Lastly, there is likely going to be some Baquacil in the water but the levels will be low. Converting shouldn't take much this time of the year. Plan on uncovering a week or two early however as the pool will be out of commission during the conversion.

We won't uncover until later in April, or 1st of May. I'll have the test kit by then and will make sure to make contact with you at that time. Thanks!!!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, so how long the does conversion take? Also, we seem to have trouble with water mold when we have the ladder in the pool. How can we stay away from the water mold???? Our pool is round, above ground, 27' wide. How many gallons of bleach will I need?

It's impossible to know beforehand how long it will take. I've seen conversion take as little as a week and as long as three weeks. It all depends on how consistent you are and how much time you can spend poolside to keep the chlorine up. The first few days you'll be tethered to the pool dosing chlorine and cleaning the filter (what filter type do you have) so I would use a long weekend or some vacation time where you can have a long weekend to work on it.

Your ladder, if it is not sealed, likely has mold growing in it. Usually we tell people to pull their ladders and give them a thorough cleaning with a mild bleach solution to disinfect. You may need to do some disassembly of the ladder (if possible) to get it clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here was one of mine during the conversion itself. A good scrub with a toothbrush and some bleach and it cleans right up. Additionally mold has a hard time living in water with Chlorine so it's less likely this issue will occur in the future.

Needsajet, you said you can use salt water anyway (implying without a SWG). I've been pondering that but haven't been able to find any info. Is it safe to just add salt to your pool without a SWG or would that mess up the pump and/or interfere with the chlorine? I will have a vinyl pool with a sand filter

We have a sand filter, 22" size I think. (The big pot I call it). We've emptied the sand out of it and will have enough sand on had to do the conversion, and then dump again and start fresh.

Our ladder is sealed except for the screw holes, we had to dump sand into the top of it and let it settle down into the bottom of the ladder. We only used it for ONE season and still had water mold issues. I purposely bought this kind of ladder hoping we would be able to avoid this issue.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm trying to decide the same thing. If we can save NOT having to buy a SWG, that would be great! But then again, the natural chlorine would be GREAT. We're still looking into buying a SWG, hoping for less hassle that having to keep dumping bleach in every week.

We did NOT use CDX, we hadn't been needing to use that with this pool. (We moved in 2013 and put up a new pool at that time) We thought we had our issues under control but the last 2 seasons were a nightmare with the Baquacil. I didn't add any closing chemicals when we closed, it was such a mess that I didn't see any point in wasting them! I have used MA for years though, but only open with it.

We have a 22" Hayward sand filter. We have a 27', round, above ground pool, metal side, vinyl liner.

I'll bet you a slab (two-four) of coldies you'll be thrilled with Trouble Free Pool Care (TFPC) before the end of June if you commit to the switch and do TFPC. Testing and liquid chlorine additions aren't that much work, and TFP water is the envy of other pool owners who jump in!

Here's a thread I enjoyed when I started out (just read the first two posts). TFPC for Beginners

Good luck with your decision :) There will be support here if you decide to do the switch.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.