Newbie with first 2 speed pump

May 29, 2015
Marion/Oh
Hi everyone, learned a lot here already but have a couple questions! Our pump recently died AFTER I hard plumbed it in this year, so was convinced to buy a 2 speed pump because our dealer was no longer carrying the waterway brand and made me a great deal over the single speed Hayward I was looking at and cheaper than I could buy a new motor separately . Our old pump was a 2hp, switched to a 1.5hp 2 speed, when I hooked up (after having to redo some plumbing) turned on high works great. Changed to Low and seemed like the water wasn't moving the same way, we keep a thermometer loose in the water as wife likes to see things floating, high speed it floats around, on low it was just kinda sitting still. Is the low speed not strong enough to move the water? I put my hand in front of return it was putting out good flow, skimmer had good suction when I put my hand over it.
I was hoping to run it on low to save on electric and maybe install a timer, would a mechanical intermatic timer work, I have a robot for cleaning so I don't run a vacuum, would I just use simple on and off timer? Thanks for the help!

Welcome to TFP!

A mechanical timer is all you need to turn on/off the pump. I have an Intermatic T10604R which has a on/off timer and a speed selection switch, http://www.intermatic.com/~/media/Intermatic/Documentation/Pool%20and%20Spa/Mechanical%20Controls/Control%20Panels/T10604R.ashx.

At low-speed the pump moves 1/2 the amount of water as it does at high-speed, but it uses only about 1/4 amount of electricity to do it. The skimming action will be reduced at low-speeds, and it depends on your pool if it skims enough or not. I use the speed selection to change speeds twice a day to get better skimming performance on high-speed.

Your in a great position, keep it on low unless you need better skimmer action. You can use a simple timer switch and a 3 way switch to control the Hi/Low Speed or you could go crazy and get the digital one that will also switch hi/low speed several times a day.

I live in Ohio and take the pump inside during the winter, would I just wire the recepticle after the timer? The cord on the new pump is shorter than the old one and I really want to extend it but haven't found anywhere to get a longer cord.

Could I use a marine style quick disconnect plugs to remove the pump each year? With the timer you recommended above would I need 2 sets of disconnects? I'm thinking the watertight marine connectors would be easiest way to bring the pump in during the winter instead of undoing the wiring each winter and reattaching each spring, also less chance of screwing up wires!

Could I use a marine style quick disconnect plugs to remove the pump each year? With the timer you recommended above would I need 2 sets of disconnects? I'm thinking the watertight marine connectors would be easiest way to bring the pump in during the winter instead of undoing the wiring each winter and reattaching each spring, also less chance of screwing up wires!
Yes, a marine style quick disconnect plug would work. Ensure it's got the proper voltage/Amp rating.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.