Testing FC above 5PPM

jmlorfam

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 22, 2008
Hanover, PA
I have a Taylor K2005 test kit (came with the pool from the builder), in addition I bought those aquacheck test strips(for quick read comparison). The book doesn't tell me how to test for FC above 5 PPM. is there a trick? The strips will show up to 10 PPM but aren't as accurate. (FYI there is light at the end of the tunnel, i ordered the TF100 everyone on this site raves about today). Until i receive my new kit any suggestions would be appreciated. :-D

The Taylor K-2005 kit contains the DPD chlorine test, which tests FC and TC up to 5. You can double that range, and test up to 10, by mixing one part pool water with one equal part of chlorine free water (commonly distilled water), test that, and then multiply the result by two. This loses some precision but is usable.

The Taylor K-2006 and TF100 contain the FAS-DPD test, which tests FC and CC up to 50 (and possibly above). This is a much better approach to testing shock levels of chlorine.

If you look in the lid of your K-2005 it will tell you how to do a 1:1 dilution and a 1:4 dilution using marks molded into th the comparator. Look in the chlorine test instructions, the dilutions are thevery bottom of the section (as are the instructions for high range tests for TA and CH in their appropriate sections of the lid instructions.)
Be aware that when you do dilutions on a
DPD test you lose a LOT of precision and your test results can be off by as much as 10 ppm!

A MUCH better solution would be to order the FAS-DPD test from TFTestkits to supplement your K-2005!
http://www.tftestkits.net/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=6

You can also order this test from Taylor
http://www.taylortechnologies.com/produ ... KitID=2185
but for the same money you will get more tests out of the TFTestkit one since they include more titrant!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.