High CYA

Waggy

Mar 12, 2016
Cyprus
I got my new tester today (pool exact Z), i can source the recommended kits here in Cyprus but would struggle to get the reagents imported, so went for the photometer route.

So, i did my tests and double checked these by getting my water retested at a pool store. More or less the same, give or take a little bit.

pH 7.4
TA 138
TC 0
CC 0
CH 228
CYA 320!!
Pool temp is 80 degrees and air temp is 85 degrees but that will rise to above 100 in the coming weeks.

Pool is clear and blue, i am now in the process of draining 80% of my water to get the CYA down to more acceptable levels,

The biggest problem i have here is getting a decent strength bleach, the highest concentration i can get is less than 5%.

I suffered last year with algae and now i know why!

What will be the best way to sanitise my pool? do i stick with 90% trichlor pucks or go another route, calhypo and trichlor or stick with the weak as pee bleach?

Cheers, Mike

The best way is bleach or installing a saltwater generator. You've seen how CYA builds up with dichlor and trichlor. It'll be much the same with Cal-hypo leaving behind Calcium. Salt should be easy to find, even in Cyprus.

I'm not sure what kind of dairy industry exists in Cyprus, but they use high-strength Sodium Hypochlorite to sanitize dairy equipment. Check at an ag supply for it, if such places exist.

Thanks for the prompt reply, you've got me thinking now, a friend at works wife works for the government dairy industry, perhaps she'll know.

Last time i had algae i just hammered it with the bleach and it cleared, now i know a little bit more of your ethics i can use TFP to get my perfect pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.