hayward sand filter

ik95

Apr 8, 2016
NJ
Hello All-

I'm new to pools. I have an 27 foot above ground pool.

Has a sand filter. The pool is pretty dirty, so I have been trying to run the pump to clean it up a bit before shock. ( We currently are renovating and not living in the home).

SO as I said pool has leaves, lots dirt on the bottom. I did a lot of direct vacuum to waste out. But than I leave it filtering all the other debris. I tend to backwash every 2 hours.

My question in this. I left it filtering for 3-4 hours and went to a store. When I can back the water circulation was so low. So I back-washed filter, and it all cleaned up.

I worry that next time I want to leave filter on for 8 hours before back washing. Will I break my pump if it does dry because sand filter will get clogged?:rendeer:

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: Also, remember that when opening your pool for the first time after winter, often times you have to perform what we call a "SLAM" (link below). The one-time shocks you hear at the pool store are worthless. So make sure to read the SLAM page before you go to far. Since you are new to pools, I would also suggest reading the following:
Pool School - Opening Your Winterized Above Ground Pool
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
Poolmath calculator
Pool School - Recommended Levels
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
TFTestkits.net
Pool School - Test Kits Compared

Nice to have you with us.

Follow-up...I cleaned out as much of what I see..

There are these tiny debris floating around...can really scoop those out..filter still needs to be backwashed every 2-3 hours or will have low circulation

Like I said above we don't live at the house, and are working most of the day, so no one there to backwash for us.

Here's my question can I start to SLAM right after work at sundown with pump in RECIRCULATION MODE, and not filtering(I'm scared pump will run dry because sand filter will get clogged and none there to backwash it)...

Thoughts? SLAMING ON RECIRCULATION MODE only for daytime, and night, and running filtration/backwash mode when I'm there on the weekend....

Will I break my pump if it does dry because sand filter will get clogged?:rendeer:
Not really. It will just increase in pressure until it becomes ineffective and won't do much more work. Your pump cannot produce enough pressure to harm the filter and the pump will not run dry in the scenario you are describing.

Don't let the leaves completely block the skimmmer. That WILL starve the pump.

Does anyone else have this issue. When sand filter in recirculation mode, water comes out of the waste valve.:confused:..and keep draining. Hence I can't use that mode because I will lose water....unless I use a plug for the waste valve.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.