Pool Renovation in Delaware

Apr 19, 2015
Wilmington, DE
Very old pool renovation in Northern Delaware. We are having the following done:
- Removed about 1000 sqft old concrete decking from around pool to be replaced with pavers.
- New coping to match Pavers.
- New Tile line.
- Replaster pool.

Here's some photos of old pool before demo:

pool1.jpg
pool2.jpg
pool3.jpg

Start of demo (this project began on 5/13/2016:
pool4.jpg

pool5.jpg

Time Lapse of first day of demo:
output_PhToyU.gif

Day 1 Timelapse

New Coping and Tile:
pool6.jpg

pool7.jpg

I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask, but we are having difficulty deciding on which plaster finish to choose. Given our tile/coping choices, does anyone have any suggestions? Our pool builder was suggesting Stonescapes mini pebble Mauve, which does look beautiful. We are just concerned about the pool being too "purple" - especially the steps. The other suggestion was a french gray.

Dave,

Here are some pictures of my pool which was just completed. Looks like we have the same coping and tile color. Wife and I went with medium grey plaster. It was done about 2 weeks ago and seems to be becoming more uniform in color and darkening some.

I live only 20 minutes from Wilmington, so if you want to see it in person you are more than welcome to.

Ryan

Because you are redoing an old pool you want to be sure that you add or renovate the electrical bonding system at the same time. That means a grid under the deck attached to the pool bonding system and make sure the pool has a water bond.

Gwegan - Thanks for the tip/information. The builder is placing new bonding around pool under the new patio and tying into the existing bonding to the light niche (this is possibly the water bond?) on the deep end as well as a few pieces of rebar from the pool that were exposed during demo.

rccarps2 - I really appreciate your feedback on the finish. Do you have any regrets about the medium gray finish? Our builder does have a pool she renovated not too far from us with mini pebble french gray. We are hoping to be able to visit it this weekend but will definitely keep your offer in mind if that falls through.

No regrets so far. The mottling was a little more than expected at first, but it is clearing up as the plaster is curing.

Everyone who sees it loves it, and we are very happy we went with a color over the standard white plaster. Added benefit will be the sun heating the pool during the summer more than white would. Our PB said with the sun exposure we get (8 plus hours) our pool will be pretty warm by mid summer, and that's without a heater.

FYI, mine is just a standard plaster, not the pebble type you are mentioning above.

Ryan

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So the pool is finished. We decided to go with the Mauve mini pebble finish. I really think the finish looks good with the paver/tile/coping choices, however, I am dealing with an issue. I can't get the skimmer to work - it seems there is an air leak somewhere. The main drain is working fine. Everything worked great when I closed it last year so I'm thinking something broke during the renovation.

pool8.jpg

pool9.jpg

pool10.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.