Guess who bought a pump without understanding the consequences

Jun 25, 2013
Memphis, TN
This guy! I did hardly any research!

pump specs.jpg

I bought this pump because it was a deal, it had better efficiency than what I had before, and a higher flowrate.

I recently came back to a green pool after vacation so i slammed it and killed the algae, no issues!
Pump ran for a full week with no clearing of the pool I'd backwash when needed but no clearer. Checked for CC.. NONE

So I thought, I'll check out the sand. Pulled the multivalve out and found NASTY sand with clumps of who knows what..
saw that pool sand was on sale at Lowes and cleaned and refilled with what I thought was the correct amount based on what came out. I'd try to read the label. But really check this label out.. 2013-06-29 19.30.10.jpg
So I added 150lbs and called it a day and thought.. 24 hours and I should be BLUE BLUE!!! NOPE

So then I noticed that there is a slight leak in the body of the sand filter.
Wishing I had a picture of the equipment pad for reference.

So I started looking at getting a new filter.

I estimate that I have 30' of head so that puts me at needing a filter with a GPM of 100. Now I know that 1.5 pipes won't even support near that much from reading on here... so I am really at a loss.

I am not not adverse to trying a different type of filter but I certainly need some advice. I think the leak is rather slow right now but I don't know that I am doing much more than marginal circulation. maybe I didn't add enough sand but either way I'll need a new filter..

Let the suggestions fly!

If you're sure the filter vessel is leaking and it's not the collar, then we won't discuss what could or should have been done with the old filter.

Since you need a new filter anyway, let's discuss that.

Do you have an interest in reusing the sand you have? If so, then you'll need to only consider sand filters. Since you have a 30,000 gal pool you need a pretty big filter. I'd suggest a 30" minimum and a 36" would be better.

If saving the sand isn't a priority, then we can discuss cartridge or DE filters. If you're interested in a cartridge filter then I'd suggest something in the 300 sqft or larger range.

How did you get to 30' of head? Hint: Head does NOT equal the length of pipe although it is proportional to the length of pipe but is also dependent on the fittings, filter and the flow rate. I doubt the head loss is only 30' of head.

Sand filters are not always capable of removing dead algae from a pool. Some species are very small and pass right through the filter. A little DE in the filter can help remove dead algae.

View attachment 48630

So I think i'd like to say using a sand filter. My investment on sand is quite minimal though IF I get another sand filter I will reuse the 9$ in sand I have purchased. It may be possible to fix the mid-body leak of my existing filter by way of using a fiberglass repair kit. I used to work with Fiberglass on a car project so that MAY work. The picture above is of the pump just being turned on Hence the water out the side. SLOW LEAK.

I estimate the head to be 30 as it is about 25 to the skimmer straight line and 40 to the midpoint above water where the main drain is. but I guess even that doesn't average out properly.

I am an open book to suggestions. I may have to try some DE or some kind of clarifier

We don't recommend trying to repair the pressure vessel. Once it's compromised, there's no sure way to ensure it's repaired properly.

I use about a cup of DE during pollen season to pick up the fine silt. Don't be tempted to add a bunch. I'd say 2 cups is the max.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.