Help!! What to do first?

May 22, 2016
Gibsonville NC
New home owner with existing pool. 25000 gallons, vinyl liner. Previous owner had ionization system that is now turned off. Pool is crystal clear. But nothing registering. My current numbers
Fc 0
Tc .1
Ph 7.2
Calcium 127
Alkalinity 24
Cya 3
Copper .2
Phosphate 1269.

What should I do first or does the order matter?

Thanks for the help!

Welcome to TFP!

Get chlorine in the pool asap and always keep chlorine in the pool, keep it 2-3 at all times for now. A 121oz jug of generic 8.25% concentrwted bleach will add just a bit over 3 ppm chlorine to your pool. So, a jug a day will keep the algae away. CYA is 3? There is no tester that I an aware of that can read a 3 for CYA.

These look like pool store test results :suspect: and we don't trust them. Far too often we see people adjust their water for the worse while waiting for a good test kit to arrive. Then they get their test kit and things are worse.

So, I recommend ordering a TF100 from TFTestkits.net. I've been buying mine there for years. When you get it post some test results.

In the meantime start reading here, Pool School - Getting Started

Agree 100% with pooldv. No matter how you got those results, get a 121oz jug of 8.25% bleach into that pool with pump running. WalMart under $3 probably. Consider this your pool's daily antiviral/antibiotic medication treatment. Essential. Or else blue pool will die.

If you truly want to make the most of this site, you'll NEED one of these test kits. I suggest the same kit from the same site as pooldv. Chemicals are FRESH and shipping is fast. Prices are better than all pool stores I've been to even after shipping.

If you learn how to use it, then actually use it, it will be an investment you'll love.

Thanks to you both! i had the luxury of picking up the TF100 Saturday. The only test i have not done was the CYA so yes thats the store results. My concern was was is it ok to try to adjust all the ranges at once?. Is the ranges still the same with the copper in the pool? Or should i be trying to get the copper out?

That copper level is minimal and don't worry about it.

You need to figure out your CYA, if it really is low or not. If it's low, then you would go ahead and calculate a dose to add it. If it's high, you'll need to drain some water, so start there before you start to adjust the other chems. After that, use the pool math feature to adjust your alkalinity first. Use Baking Soda. Your PH should come up a bit with the increase in alkalinity.

The comes the chlorine. You can adjust FC and ALK/CYA in the same day... Just go one step at a time so you're not overwhelmed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.