Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help, please!

1. Back To Top    #1

Help, please!

do you need to balance the other chemicals before you shock your pool? my total alkalinity and ph is low but my pool is starting to turn green and i just opened it and i think i'm in chloride demand

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help, please!

Quote Originally Posted by James Last
    do you need to balance the other chemicals before you shock your pool? my total alkalinity and ph is low but my pool is starting to turn green and i just opened it and i think i'm in chloride demand
    What are your CYA, FC, CC, PH, & TA readings?
    What test kit (and method od testing) are you using?
    What have you been using for a sanitizer?
    What size pool, type of pool, type of filter, pump size etc. do you have?

Have you read and reread the article in "pool School"? http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/
    Triad Region of NC
    18x37 Vinyl IG (24,000 gal.), BBB & GoldLine AquaLogic PS4 SWG, Hayward 1 HP Superpump / Hayward Sand Filter / Polaris 280 cleaner / 6 deck jets / Sheer Descent Waterfall (in coping) / Brick Red Concrete Coping / Stamped Concrete Deck
    Lots of oak trees, maple trees, *and* leaves!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Help, please!

If your TA is below 50 you should raise it before shocking. If your PH is below 7.0 or above 7.8, you should adjust it before shocking. Neither of those things should take very long, so you can get to shocking without much delay.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School