Intermittent Autopilot error

May 22, 2016
Miami, FL
I'm trying to figure out what's wrong with my Autopilot. It will be working fine for a few hours at a time but then it gives either the "low amps" or "check cell" warning.

I don't think its the cell because I have 2 of them and have changed them and cleaned them and it still gives the same error. The salt level is about 3500 ppm. I thought it could be the power cord, so I cleaned it out and made sure the connections were dry, but still after a few hours I get the flashing warning light.

One thing I noticed is that I get fluctuating readings on the control panel when I run the test program. For example, sometimes it will read 29 volts and sometimes 18 volts, sometimes 6.0 amps and sometimes 2.9 amps.

My questions are: is it actually running normally when the light is not flashing, or is it just that the warning light will only flash for a certain time period and then turn off?, could a bad fuse be causing this?, is a bad power cord the most likely cause?

The Autopilot control panel itself is 12 years old and the power cord is about 3 years old. My first power cord lasted about 9 years.

Welcome to TFP!

That might be a symptom of a bad cell. The cell changes polarity and it could be that when it switches the polarity it will either be the good side or the bad side of the cell. Are both cells old?

Welcome to TFP!

That might be a symptom of a bad cell. The cell changes polarity and it could be that when it switches the polarity it will either be the good side or the bad side of the cell. Are both cells old?

they each have about 2-3 years of use so far

the reason I have 2 is because I replaced the last one prematurely a couple years ago - I thought the cell was bad but it turned out to be a corroded banana plug on the power cord.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.