"Acid Magic" buffered Hydrochloric Acid - any opinions?

It's been around for a while but I have never used it. It is a buffered muriatic acid according to the company website andis not approved for pool use in California. (then again, neither are borates!) It is more expensive than regular muriatic acid and it's interesteng that while they claim fume free and non burning they still recommend gloves, goggles and proper ventilation because it is still basically muriatic acid.

According to this fact sheet they have buffered the acid in such a way that it can increase inorganic phosphates (aka orthophosphates). So be careful when using this acid in the pool. Though phosphates should not matter, the amount could accumulate enough to cause calcium phosphate scaling especially in high CH environments. Also, if your pool was low in phosphates before, then the increased phosphates will make the pool grow algae faster if you let the FC/CYA ratio get too low.

So they attempted to junk up the acid with extra stuff just to make it more user friendly? Honestly I can't see a reason to pay more for it if it's just gonna achieve the exact same thing. It's really not that hard to deal with unless you have never seen it react, and don't have a good respect for what it does.

So they attempted to junk up the acid with extra stuff just to make it more user friendly? Honestly I can't see a reason to pay more for it if it's just gonna achieve the exact same thing. It's really not that hard to deal with unless you have never seen it react, and don't have a good respect for what it does.

I agree. plain acid is all you need. I just use common sense and caution as with any chemical handling. :cheers:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.