Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: "Acid Magic" buffered Hydrochloric Acid - any opinions?

1. Back To Top    #1

"Acid Magic" buffered Hydrochloric Acid - any opinions?

I saw this product advertised. Has anyone used this or has an opinion?
    http://www.horizonpoolsupply.com/websit ... ItemID=883
    Thanks
    Amir
    7500 Gallon Kayak, 1HP Sta-Rite Pump, Pool Pilot DIG-36 SWG, AquaCal H100 Heatpump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: "Acid Magic" buffered Hydrochloric Acid - any opinions?

It's been around for a while but I have never used it. It is a buffered muriatic acid according to the company website andis not approved for pool use in California. (then again, neither are borates!) It is more expensive than regular muriatic acid and it's interesteng that while they claim fume free and non burning they still recommend gloves, goggles and proper ventilation because it is still basically muriatic acid.

3. Back To Top    #3

According to this fact sheet they have buffered the acid in such a way that it can increase inorganic phosphates (aka orthophosphates). So be careful when using this acid in the pool. Though phosphates should not matter, the amount could accumulate enough to cause calcium phosphate scaling especially in high CH environments. Also, if your pool was low in phosphates before, then the increased phosphates will make the pool grow algae faster if you let the FC/CYA ratio get too low.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

4. Back To Top    #4

Not sure I want anything to do with something that says magic on it.
    sounds like something that would be sold at night - off the back end of a horse drawn wagon!
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

5. Back To Top    #5

So they attempted to junk up the acid with extra stuff just to make it more user friendly? Honestly I can't see a reason to pay more for it if it's just gonna achieve the exact same thing. It's really not that hard to deal with unless you have never seen it react, and don't have a good respect for what it does.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by BluenShiny View Post
    So they attempted to junk up the acid with extra stuff just to make it more user friendly? Honestly I can't see a reason to pay more for it if it's just gonna achieve the exact same thing. It's really not that hard to deal with unless you have never seen it react, and don't have a good respect for what it does.
    I agree. plain acid is all you need. I just use common sense and caution as with any chemical handling.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr