Newbie questions about nets

Mar 9, 2009
Midwest
Are there basically two types of nets that you use to scoop things from the pool, or are there other types that I need to know about? So far I just see the big "bag" looking type for scooping leaves from the bottom of the pool, and then the shallow skimmer net for scooping from the surface. I think the shallow ones come in a few shapes and sizes or are they different nets for different things?

I know there are the nettings that you can use to cover the whole pool & the ones you can put in the skimmer to help it not suck in debris. I am wanting a rundown on some other basics about nets I guess.

Also, rather than $20 for a new leaf rake, should I use some needle and thread and sew up the hole in my current leaf rake? Or what is another good way to repair it? I have a heat sealer (the kind you use for shrink wrap -- polypropelene or polyethelene) and thought that might work but I don't want to mess up my heat sealer, so I would only try it if someone here knows it's okay. (Apparently a leaf rake is more like a net/bag?) Or just spend the $15-$35? They tend to break fast unless I get the more expensive good brands :\

Thanks again everyone!

aquamarine said:
They tend to break fast unless I get the more expensive good brands :\

Thanks again everyone!
Exactly, so buying the cheapest is not always the best bet in the long run! Then again, buying the most expensive is sometimes overkill for a home pool since they are designed to stand up under repeated dailyuse by pool service techs. I would recommend the Pentair leaf rake #117 or #120. They are mid priced and the netting and frame are user replaceable. One has a squeegee edged and the other does not.
The whole thing is usually around $35-$40 (but I have seen them online for around $25 plus shipping) and the replacement net and frame usually under $20

NO matter what kind you get rinse it in fresh water and let it dry after use and don't keep it in sunlight if you want it to last as long as possible. Chlorine and sun are what make them fall apart.

waterbear said:
Chlorine and sun are what make them fall apart.
In my case, it was the squirrels that ate through the leaf rake netting and all of the bristles on 1 side (1/3) on my Hayward vaccum head!
-It doesn't work too well with bristles on just 2 sides! :hammer:

aquamarine said:
Poor squirrels if that's all they can find to eat lol... maybe they liked the algae on them. Hmph.
Nope, no algae on them (for last 2 years anyway). 8) . It was just something else to chew on, in addition to the chairs, the recycled decking, the railings, & the concrete bird bath! It's just one of the "features" and benefits of living in the woods :wink: !

frustratedpoolmom said:
Gee Fuzzy, get a bird feeder already. That always keeps the squirrels happy. :mrgreen:
We already have 4 "normal" bird feeders (meaning squirrel feeders), 4 locations that we put ears of corn or pressed corn "logs" just for the squirrels, and have added 2 "bird-only" feeders. The new feeders are tripped by weight: birds can land on them but the weight of a squirrel causes them to be spun and thrown off of!
Now that was fun to see, "flying squirrels :goodjob: " (and I don't mean "Rocky")!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.