Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Newbie questions about nets

1. Back To Top    #1

Newbie questions about nets

Are there basically two types of nets that you use to scoop things from the pool, or are there other types that I need to know about? So far I just see the big "bag" looking type for scooping leaves from the bottom of the pool, and then the shallow skimmer net for scooping from the surface. I think the shallow ones come in a few shapes and sizes or are they different nets for different things?

I know there are the nettings that you can use to cover the whole pool & the ones you can put in the skimmer to help it not suck in debris. I am wanting a rundown on some other basics about nets I guess.

Also, rather than $20 for a new leaf rake, should I use some needle and thread and sew up the hole in my current leaf rake? Or what is another good way to repair it? I have a heat sealer (the kind you use for shrink wrap -- polypropelene or polyethelene) and thought that might work but I don't want to mess up my heat sealer, so I would only try it if someone here knows it's okay. (Apparently a leaf rake is more like a net/bag?) Or just spend the $15-$35? They tend to break fast unless I get the more expensive good brands :\

Thanks again everyone!
    Inground oval approx 17.5' x 35' (with middle of deep end 9'?) so guessing 27000 gallons. Vinyl liner, BBB chlorine. Dolphin. Portable fullsize spa not currently in use.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Newbie questions about nets

Quote Originally Posted by aquamarine
    They tend to break fast unless I get the more expensive good brands :\

Thanks again everyone!
    Exactly, so buying the cheapest is not always the best bet in the long run! Then again, buying the most expensive is sometimes overkill for a home pool since they are designed to stand up under repeated dailyuse by pool service techs. I would recommend the Pentair leaf rake #117 or #120. They are mid priced and the netting and frame are user replaceable. One has a squeegee edged and the other does not.
    The whole thing is usually around $35-$40 (but I have seen them online for around $25 plus shipping) and the replacement net and frame usually under $20

NO matter what kind you get rinse it in fresh water and let it dry after use and don't keep it in sunlight if you want it to last as long as possible. Chlorine and sun are what make them fall apart.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by waterbear
    Chlorine and sun are what make them fall apart.
    In my case, it was the squirrels that ate through the leaf rake netting and all of the bristles on 1 side (1/3) on my Hayward vaccum head!
    -It doesn't work too well with bristles on just 2 sides!
    Triad Region of NC
    18x37 Vinyl IG (24,000 gal.), BBB & GoldLine AquaLogic PS4 SWG, Hayward 1 HP Superpump / Hayward Sand Filter / Polaris 280 cleaner / 6 deck jets / Sheer Descent Waterfall (in coping) / Brick Red Concrete Coping / Stamped Concrete Deck
    Lots of oak trees, maple trees, *and* leaves!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks, will look at the Pentair.

Poor squirrels if that's all they can find to eat lol... maybe they liked the algae on them. Hmph.
    Inground oval approx 17.5' x 35' (with middle of deep end 9'?) so guessing 27000 gallons. Vinyl liner, BBB chlorine. Dolphin. Portable fullsize spa not currently in use.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by aquamarine
    Poor squirrels if that's all they can find to eat lol... maybe they liked the algae on them. Hmph.
    Nope, no algae on them (for last 2 years anyway). 8) . It was just something else to chew on, in addition to the chairs, the recycled decking, the railings, & the concrete bird bath! It's just one of the "features" and benefits of living in the woods !
    Triad Region of NC
    18x37 Vinyl IG (24,000 gal.), BBB & GoldLine AquaLogic PS4 SWG, Hayward 1 HP Superpump / Hayward Sand Filter / Polaris 280 cleaner / 6 deck jets / Sheer Descent Waterfall (in coping) / Brick Red Concrete Coping / Stamped Concrete Deck

6. Back To Top    #6

Gee Fuzzy, get a bird feeder already. That always keeps the squirrels happy.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    Gee Fuzzy, get a bird feeder already. That always keeps the squirrels happy.
    We already have 4 "normal" bird feeders (meaning squirrel feeders), 4 locations that we put ears of corn or pressed corn "logs" just for the squirrels, and have added 2 "bird-only" feeders. The new feeders are tripped by weight: birds can land on them but the weight of a squirrel causes them to be spun and thrown off of!
    Now that was fun to see, "flying squirrels " (and I don't mean "Rocky")!
    Triad Region of NC

8. Back To Top    #8

Hahaha... I looked up the flying squirrel thing you mentioned, it is even funnier than I thought it would be. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDFjlhUB ... re=related