Pool pump humming after replacing capacitor

bwhite

Sep 7, 2009
Brentwood, CA
I came home to find the breaker tripped last week. I found several threads on TFP explaining the capacitor replacement. I also tested the rotation and the shaft spins freely.

I ordered a new capacitor and replaced it today. It kicked on for a second and then returned to the humming mode. I bought a replacement motor (brand new) and replaced the entire unit. Hooked everything up and had the same result with a new motor!

What should I be checking next before making a dreaded service call?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Did you test the motors in isolation (without wet end, impeller or seal)? If the new motor still does not spin up, try it on a different circuit.

If it is a single speed motor, you could rewire the motor for 115v and then use an outlet with a lamp cord.

But you might just try removing the motor from the wet end and starting it to make sure there is nothing binding in the wet end.

Are you sure the motor jumpers are set correctly for 230v?

While off, can you turn the impeller freely?

While humming, try turning the impeller and see if it starts up.

I finally found the issue and got the pool back up. Turns out it was the power supply coming into the pool panel from the main panel. One of the burial lines was out just after the house. Hit the Home Depot for a trencher and ran 150' of new line to the panel in a 1" conduit. Glad I was able to get to it before it turned green.

Thanks for the advice!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.