how to open a debris filled pool

Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

My first suggestion is to stay away from any pool store. Their only response it to sell you some magic potion that will drain your wallet and not help your pool a lot.

I will tell you, it didn't turn green overnight and it will take time to clear. But, we can teach you how to get it sparkling and keep it that was for a lot less money than the pool store.

Not much credence is given to pool store testing around here. While you would think that a "professional" would be the best, unfortunately in most cases it is quite the opposite. Between employees who blindly trust the word of chemical sales representatives and high school kids working in the pool store for the summer you end up with poor results from their testing. But, what can you do?? We base our pool care system on accurate testing and only adding what the pool needs, when it needs it. To do that you need your own accurate test kit. Order a TF100 and at least include the XL option. That will give you what you need while you are clearing the pool, and probably enough reagents for a couple of years normal use.

Is the pump running? If so, slowly add 1/2 bottle concentrated bleach in the morning in front of a return and again the other 1/2 bottle in the afternoon/evening. You want to use your net to keep getting the trash out of the pool as much as possible. The more you get out by hand now the easier it will be to clear your pool.

While you wait for it to get delivered, you have a homework assignment. Start with Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis

Welcome to TFP! Good job pool boy! :-D

+1 to ordering a TF100 from TFTestkits.net. I have been buying mine there for 4 years now, great kit!

Do you have a leaf rake? Get a sturdy leaf rake and keep scooping as much yuck out as possible. The less debris in the pool the faster the SLAM will go. You will also need a pool brush to brush the bottom and walls of the pool to help expose the algae to the chlorine. The brush and leaf rake use the same pole.

Welcome! :wave:

What you need, we call the SLAM Process process. In order to do it, you need the right test kit. You also need to understand our strange terminology and how to use poolmath.

You're already doing the first part, removing the big stuff. Anything you can scoop or vacuum out, do so. It'll just rob chlorine. Brush and vacuum daily while you await a proper test kit.

When you have some test results, then we can advise you from a position of knowledge, not guesswork. Will you need a partial drain? Do you have an ammonia problem? Does the pH need to go up or down? We can answer these questions intelligently if we have test results we trust.

You've probably been in pool school until you feel like :crazy: That's normal. There's a steep learning curve to this, but it will suddenly make sense all the sudden once you start testing and treating and seeing the results. So when it gets too much, take a break and go look at pictures. I have some good threads bookmarked in Recovering my old inspirational links Follow the links and scroll through and look at the pictures. If they can do it, you can do it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.