Liner Floats and Pool Leaks HELP!!

May 22, 2016
Frankfort
I'll start with a short history we bought the house in 2013 and the pool came with it. Upon opening the first time it was obvious that the pool had not been cared for in some time, but after some hard work and lots of cussing under my breath everything worked great (well for about 2 years). Last year we began having issues with algae even though my chemicals seemed right at the time. My filter would clog constantly so I replaced the sand (Hayward sand filter). Then the pump wouldn't start it would keep tripping thermals or the breaker so after some research I replaced the starting capacitor and it's running like a champ now (my one victory). Then after a particularly heavy downpour last summer I woke to a floating liner :mad:. It resettled after a day or two accompanied by a small leak, but it was so close to the end of pool season and it seemed to behave and correct itself that I closed the pool for the season. Now on to this year, opened the pool this year to probably the most disgusting I've seen it besides the year we moved in (there was a dead rabbit in it when we purchased the house). The pool had a thick layer of a brownish blackish algae all over the pool and smelled like a swamp. I got to work cleaning and I figured lets get this clean and let the filter do its job. Everything was running great for 3 about 3 days through normal filter use and backwashing with a little scrubbing the pool was clearing up little by little each day. Then everything went to **** in a hand basket. I awoke this morning to find the liner had again lifted away form the walls, mostly in corners and around structures, and the pool had lost almost 3" over night after only losing about 1/2" the previous 3 days due to backwashing. I am officially stumped everything I see about floating liners says it should happen after heavy rain and it hasn't rained since I opened the pool. Please help.

A really frustrated pool owner,
shamm1987

Some nice pictures of your overall pool area would be great and a screen capture of your house from Google maps would help too.

These are educated guesses. I think you may have a leak and water flowing through the leak is trapped between the pool and the walls.
You need to find the leak. Once you find and fix the leak I suspect the other water will slowly go away.

How old is the liner? If its more than five years old after I ruled out the penetrations Id look at that for leaks.

Most common locations are penetrations of the liner. I might do some dye tests on those. But first read pool school on pool leaks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.