Solar cover help

Jun 6, 2010
Central Indiana
We live in a wide open area surrounded by fields and tend to get a lot of wind which makes solar covers difficult to keep in place. They always want to blow to one side of the pool or blow off making them not worth the effort. We have a 24 foot round pool. We bought a new cover last year that was heavier 12 mil and it kept blowing off and was hard to take on and off so we purchased a solar roller. The solar roller works great but the cover still blows off. Have already tried putting gallon jugs of water on it to hold in place. Are there any other options?

I though maybe we could get a smaller cover (maybe 18' round) they would stay in place better and be easier to manage. The 24 footer tends to get caught on the ladder and bunch up which may be why the wind catches it so easily. Would a smaller cover fair better? Any other ideas?

I think you are better off with a larger cover so it comes close to edge so the wind can't catch it as easily. You might try cutting out the ladder are so it stays flat.

Maybe you could attach some short lengths of foam core ABS pipe to four corners of the cover so that the pipe sits on top of the cover and then use some small bungee cords to attach it to the pool wall. That way, when the wind blows, the cover may kick up a bit but it won't fly away. Taking off four bungee cords wouldn't add too much hassle to the cover removal/redeployment process.

Agree that cutting it close to the perimeter so that it lies flat on the water should solve the problem. When I was cutting mine a couple of weeks ago it was blowing around but once it was cut to fit flat on the water and just inside the pool edge it stopped lifting.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.