List of things I need? Cost cutting essentials

Mar 9, 2009
Midwest
I was wondering if there's a list of what I would need for my pool, I thought maybe I should order it all at once. (Pool specs in my sig.)

So far I have: bleach, borax I have to find somewhere and buy, baking soda.
Good to have pH up from the pool store?
Should I also buy the cover cleaner, flocking stuff, or other chemicals that don't have cheap replacements?
Good test kit as described on this forum.
I have a leafmaster and will be getting a leaf rake.
Will get solar cover and have a reel, and I know these aren't necessary.
Have a crappy tarp that will suffice for winter covering if I cover my pool.
I have a pole with a net at the end, but it has a hole in it, so I guess I need to buy another... or how do I fix it?
I have a Dolphin so that helps.
Any other essentials I need to think about buying?

aquamarine said:

PH Up is soda ash. Soda ash is available as ARM & HAMMER® Super Washing Soda Detergent Booster. Do not confuse this with ARM & HAMMER® laundry detergent! It is sold in the laundry detergent section of most larger grocery stores and some big box stores. You can also buy it from the pool store, but it costs more there.

aquamarine said:
I was wondering if there's a list of what I would need for my pool, I thought maybe I should order it all at once. (Pool specs in my sig.)

So far I have: bleach, borax I have to find somewhere and buy, baking soda.
Should I also buy the cover cleaner, flocking stuff, or other chemicals that don't have cheap replacements?
Good test kit as described on this forum.
I have a leafmaster and will be getting a leaf rake.
Will get solar cover and have a reel, and I know these aren't necessary.
Have a crappy tarp that will suffice for winter covering if I cover my pool.
I have a pole with a net at the end, but it has a hole in it, so I guess I need to buy another... or how do I fix it?
I have a Dolphin so that helps.
Any other essentials I need to think about buying?

PH UP is the same as Soda Ash, and you should be able to get that and Borax at Walmart or grocery store, look in laundry aisle.

You should need cover cleaner, flocking stuff, algaecide or anything else. A properly balanced pool won't need anything else. If opening issues are present, usually all it takes is lots of chlorine and POP while letting the filter do it's job.

I've cleaned my solar cover by just hosing it off and let it dry, the FC levels in the pool should take care of anything else. I assume you mean the solar cover. If you want to scrub it good, just use a diluted bleach solution with water should do the trick.

Probably replace the net.

Um, maybe 1 bottle of flocking stuff for now though, so the dolphin can work better? Since I am trying to get my swamp back in shape. First I will fish out a lot with the leafmaster & leaf rake & vaccuum obviously. Well, I hope the flocking stuff is not needed, so I can save more money, lol.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
aquamarine said:
Um, maybe 1 bottle of flocking stuff for now though, so the dolphin can work better? Since I am trying to get my swamp back in shape. First I will fish out a lot with the leafmaster & leaf rake & vaccuum obviously. Well, I hope the flocking stuff is not needed, so I can save more money, lol.

You did say "need". You don't "need" floc, though some people like to use it. It's costly, it does work in some situations, but a need? No. :wink:

POP. Definitely POP! :goodjob:

don't know how well floc will work with a robot cleaner. It is usually better used with a manual vacuum and a filter that can vacuum to waste. Robots will probably disturb the settled stuff too much and cause it to mix back into the water.

I would hold off on the floc.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.