Vari-flo valve constantly backwashing

Jun 5, 2014
Wading River, NY
No matter what setting I set my Hayward Vari-flo sp0710xr50 to, it is filtering, but also blowing out waste water. There is enough water escaping out the waste line to keep the hose full and flowing, but still enough going back to the pool to keep the jets going. I'm also getting a fair amount of air in the line, which I think is from the same issue.

I've tried every setting on the valve and tried pulling water from only the skimmers or only the pool drain with the same results. I'm fairly certain the valve is the issue at this point. I have a parts list and diagram for the valve in case I have to replace a gasket or other part, but it looks like disassembly and reassembly could be a pretty tedious procedure. Has anyone tried doing this? Or is it easier to just spend the $80 for a whole new valve?

I should mention that I have no idea how old this valve is, but I know the pool is about 23 years old and this is most likely an original part. I can't run the filter with it in this condition, so I'm going to be stuck with a green pool until I fix this.

Sounds like a spider gasket problem. Remove the 6 stainless steel screws - be sure to catch the nuts below them - and lift the top off. You should see the spider gasket - and it probably isn't in its correct location, which is letting water flow in all directions.

It's about a 10-15 minute job to remove the screws and top to inspect the spider gasket. If it's bad, take it to the pool store and get a new one - or order one online. With the gasket in hand, it's a 10-15 minute job to reassemble.

EDIT - Directions I found elsewhere....

-- VALVE TOP IS UNDER SPRING LOAD. To open top half and service valve, evenly and alternately loosen cover
screws.
-- To re-assemble the top half to valve bottom, ensure bottom gasket and diverter sealing surface are
clean and free from nicks to insure positive sealing. Tighten cover screws evenly and alternately. DO NOT
OVERTIGHTEN THE SCREWS.

Thank you, sir! The gasket was blown (see pic) and I was relieved at how easy it was to replace. Although I probably overpaid at $19.50 for a new gasket, I would have been angry if I'd paid to have someone come out to do what amounted to about 10 minutes of work.

The parts diagram made it seem as if there was a massively complex mechanism in there, but all of that was enclosed in the housing for the selector lever. When I pulled the top assembly off it was just the gasket in the picture. Totally easy fix if anyone else encounters this.

IMG_0695.jpg

Good job! It's always easier after you do it for the first time. :laughblue:

While you may have paid a few dollars more for the spider gasket locally, it's done and working. And you did save the $80+ to buy a new complete unit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.