Air bubble question

Jul 7, 2014
atco/nj
So as I was checking to see if back washing was necessary I noticed a little air in the pump basket. So I started to play with the valves. It seems when i turn off the skimmers the bottom drain has almost no air bubbles in the pump basket box window. Whren I shut off the main drain valve and leave just the skimmers on, there is a noticeable amount of small air bubbles. When both valves are open the air bubbles pretty much disappear. I assume this means a problem somewhere. The filter runs great, the pressure is constant at 14psi and i can't notice any air being sucked in. Any suggestions?

As long as the air bubbles are small, there should not be an issue. Are the bubbles grapefruit size or pea size or somewhere in between?

Smaller than a pea. Probably about a 1/4 the size. I can see them shooting through from the pvc. If the skimmers arent sucking air from a vortex, where the heck could the air come from? I checked the drain plugs in the box, dont see any drips from piping. I'll have to wait for dry weather to be a 100% but......

I checked the drain plugs in the box, don't see any drips from piping.
If you are getting air, you won't see water leak out because it is on the suction side of the pump. Lube the drain plugs and pump basket lid. Other sources could be valves.

But usually if the air bubbles are that small, it could be out gassing and not really a leak.

Have you ever watched a glass of cold water warm in the sun? Small bubbles form on the glass sides. This is dissolved air (nitrogen, oxygen, carbon dioxide, etc) coming out of solution. This can also happen in a pump where the pressure is below atmospheric which can draw air from the water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.