Is there better wisdom to draining a green swamp?

May 31, 2014
Burlington, NC
I am just curious for future years if it would be wiser to drain halfway a murky, green pool at start up than to try to clean up the water that is in there? It takes so long to clean a frog pond and I still wonder even for this year if it would clear any quicker if I drain it halfway now. I have been SLAMing for over a week and seeing some improvement but it is far from clearing. Can not see the shallow end yet even though it is a sea green/bluish color now. Also, we have a sand filter which apparently is the slowest to clean up. Would there be economic sense to change to a DE or cartridge filter system? Or do I just keep planning for 3-4 weeks of clean up in the spring?

Thanks for any opinions and/or advice on this.

A better solution is to not allow it to become a swamp. You should close a pool right before freezing weather with sufficient chlorine and then open right after the freezing weather. If you wait until the water warms up, it is too late and algae will take hold.

But does the water ever freeze where you are? If not, you might be better off leaving the pool open all year and just draining the equipment during the really cold weather when there is a chance of the plumbing freezing.

I looked up the average low temp and it doesn't look like it ever stays below freezing. Warmer than here actually. You could keep your pool open year round. Mine is open year round, pump runs a couple hours a day, I add bleach every couple of weeks to keep FC at 8-10 ppm FC so I can yest PH.

It varies from pool to pool, however with a vinyl liner pool there are substantial risks to liner lifting or failing if you ever allow less than about a foot of water in the shallow end, so it is sort of moot in your case.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.