Chlorine levels seem wrong

May 25, 2015
Marion, KY
We are opening our pool. We had it almost perfect with perfect readings. Overnight it turned solid green. I have tried slamming it and got my free chlorine levels too high. My free chlorine is reading 26. My combined chloramines is reading zero. My TC is 26. The CYA is 40, my pH was nine but I have added my muriatic acid. I feel like something is wrong. Any suggestions?

If you are on city water then iron was probably not a good guess. I suggest you continue the SLAM procedure by following it VERY carefully from the article. It should look better tomorrow.

I still have a very green pool and my numbers are still near perfect. My slam level is 16 and I'm staying between 15 and 16 even overnight with a lot of sunshine during the day today. My CYA is 40 and my pH is 7.0. What else could be causing a green pool?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
imagejpeg

I have tried very hard to put a picture on here but it seems impossible.

- - - Updated - - -

The fact I can't upload a picture to a website is probably a good indication that I do not need to be trying to figure out how to handle chemicals in a swimming pool

Was it green at all when you took the cover off? How long was there between the time you took the cover off and added the chlorine?

How is your pump behaving? Is the pressure going up? (Have you back washed if the pressure went up 25% over the clean pressure?)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.