Opening green pool for summer! What should I do first?!

So yesterday I added the bleach. Tested today and these are my results.
PH 7.2
CYA 60
FC 29
After adding R003 the water turned a very light pink
CC =2
So after using the calculator I guess I just leave it as it is and continue scrubbing and removing as much debris as possible?
The water still has a faint green color but it is foggy and I can see to the bottom.

There's no pressure gauge on the filter. I been changing out the cartridges frequently. We've had a couple days of thunderstorms over here. Ive run out of the R0013, last check was 70 (5/25). Checked levels last night
FC 27
CC 0.5
PH 7.2

Today my readings are

FC 22
CC 0.5
Ph 7.2

Water is still very cloudy. Pool calculator is telling me to add 12 oz of bleach to hit FC 24.

Great work filling out signature! Thanks!
Good job on regular filter cleanings.
Cloudy blue? Did you turn your green pool blue? Congrats! If 70 was your last CYA then keep testing FC twice a day (three if possible until the loss in the middle test is minor) and using poolmath to calc the FC add needed to get back to shock FC per your CYA. Seems like you understand, but if you have any questions specifically, just ask.

Cloudy will be gone pretty fast as long as your cartridges are not falling apart broken. Cartridges make quick work of cloudy. Just keep the FC at shock, brush when you can, and vac when needed or even once a day speeds up clearing in my experience. Doesn't have to be perfect, just slow and steady.

Since you have a cartridge filter, you don't lose water unless there is a leak, overflow, or splash out. Once the CYA is in the pool, as long as you keep FC above minimum, the only way your CYA goes down is splash out/leak/overflow. It doesn't get burned up by sun or used up. It is indestructible for the most part. Since your CYA level is high, be sure not to use any "stabilized" source of chlorine, just bleach. If there is some sort of freak bleach shortage, use the calcium hypochlorite granular shock in a pinch since it isn't stabilized.

- - - Updated - - -

Just curious about one thing... Usually testing ph when FC is above 10 gives a 8.2 reading no matter what the true ph. Was the 7.2 an old reading?

I did have a question for the pool Calc. For the box that says weight %, I changed the 6 to 8.25. Was I right to do that?

- - - Updated - - -

The PH was 7.2 when I checked earlier.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sorry for getting back so late. It's been almost 3 weeks and I've had the filter running 24/7, changing out cartridges about every 4 hours except over night. But my water is still cloudy. These are my numbers:

FC 23.5
CC 0.5
PH 7.4
CYA ... BETWEEN 50 AND 40

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thank you

Let the FC fall to 20 and keep bringing up to 20 when you test, not higher.

when FC is 10 or higher, skip the pH test as it doesn't work with FC that high, also never adjust ph based on a test done when FC was 10 or higher

Is it completely blue now? Like as blue as it could ever get, just cloudy? Can you see the bottom, just blurry?

does the filter have a place where a pressure gauge could go? I'm not sure on this, but it might be possible you are changing filter too often, not sure if cartridges work best when they are a little dirty or if they are always at maximum filtration after cleaning, have to see what an expert says.

I believe it's as blue as it could get. I can see the bottom, but it is blurry. After I vacuum or scrub, the water gets milky. I don't think there is a spot to put a pressure gauge on the filter.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, as Im cleaning off cartridge, i can see dirty water, grayish color, running off it. I haven't been letting out air once I close the top though, with new cartridge in it.

I was SLAM'ing my pool for more than 3 weeks and frustrated at how long it was taking. Pool was never clear, always a cloudy blue and at best times I could make out my feet at the bottom if I squinted. I switched to a sand filter I got from walmart.com for $140 and boy has it been the best upgrade I could have done. My water has never been so clear and sparkly. No more washing or buying cartridges every week. It has more than paid for itself already.

If you think about how much you're spending on cartridges, I hope you'll consider upgrading! I bought the Intex brand sand filter so it fit perfectly with everything I already had, and it will plumb in perfectly with your salt water system.

Intex 2,100 GPH Sand Filter Pump - Walmart.com

This would be more than sufficient for your pool!

I was SLAM'ing my pool and frustrated at how long it was taking. Pool was never clear, always a cloudy blue and at best times I could make out my feet at the bottom if I squinted. I switched to a sand filter I got from walmart.com for $140 and boy has it been the best upgrade I could have done. My water has never been so clear and sparkly. No more washing or buying cartridges every week. It has more than paid for itself already.

If you think about how much you're spending on cartridges, I hope you'll consider upgrading! I bought the Intex brand sand filter so it fit perfectly with everything I already had, and it will plumb in perfectly with your salt water system.

Intex 2,100 GPH Sand Filter Pump - Walmart.com

This would be more than sufficient for your pool!

We've heard this type of comment many times. The intex cartridge filters are WAY undersized for the pools they are attached to by default. If you never have a problem with chemistry, you might be able to get away with it. But it's very difficult to clear a pool of algae with the standard cartridge Intex filters.

I wish I could upgrade. I bought cartridges on sale so Im pretty stocked up on them right now. Hopefully next year Ill be able to upgrade.

Hoping your SLAM goes quick for you!

- - - Updated - - -

We've heard this type of comment many times. The intex cartridge filters are WAY undersized for the pools they are attached to by default. If you never have a problem with chemistry, you might be able to get away with it. But it's very difficult to clear a pool of algae with the standard cartridge Intex filters.

This site has taught me so much, and I knew I needed to bite the bullet and upgrade. I've only had it two weeks now and it cleared up my cloudy green pool in 4 days. No regrets!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.