CYA TEST with TF-100

Bassin37WV

LifeTime Supporter
May 4, 2007
Bunker Hill, WV
Please help! I have never seen the black dot disappear in the C.A. view tube. I added three 3" stabilized tabelts to skimmer two weeks ago. Have I did something wrong here? Or do I just need to add more of the AquaChem tablets?

Thanks in advance! :-D

You will need to purchase stabilizer seperately to put in your pool.....the tabs will not provide enough to bring you up to an adequate level.

You didn't ask, but my thinking is your pool is not adequately chlorinated. Are you chlorinating with anything other than tabs? Do you have test results you can post?

OK, went to pool store and bought three 3LB containers at $23.59 a piece. Pool guy told me this would last at least 5 years. He also said I should put in one container every 2 days and wait a month before testing. I feel like such a dumbo for buying the wrong thing! Thanks for the help.

Troy

Troy,

Calculate your dosage using Jason's pool calulator rather than trusting the pool store. If you have questions, post 'em up.

Also, I would suggest you put it in two jugs at your convenience and then wait to test after a few days. If the results match your calculation, then go ahead and dose on up to recommended levels,,,,,,,usually 60-80ppm.....try to stay under 80.

Bassin37WV said:
...Pool guy told me this would last at least 5 years. He also said I should put in one container every 2 days and wait a month before testing....Troy
The pool store is "incorrect" about 9Lb lasting 5 years! Use Jason's pool calculator (see frustratedpoolmom's post for the link), fill in the volume of the pool in gallons, 0 CYA to start and a target of 60 and you'll come up with a value different than the 144oz (3x48) that you bought at the pool store. << Yes, your 292 oz number is correct >>
Future information: If you have a Wal-Mart nearby (?) you might want to look in their small pool section for "Conditioner" or "Stabilizer". They are 3# jugs and are 100% CYA. It's the same thing, just slightly less $$. Just make sure that you away from almost everything else in that section: Wal-Mart seems to have gone "copper-crazy" this year!

Dave's post about using 2 containers now, waiting 5-7 days and testing and adjusting makes perfect sense. The CYA is something that you don't want to overshoot as too high means that you end up doing a partial drain & fill to fix it.

While you are at Wal-Mart anyway, check on how much of their 6% brand bleach you are going to need to sanitize your pool until the CYA dissolves: Shall we say 1 stop shopping?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.