Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA TEST with TF-100

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA TEST with TF-100

Please help! I have never seen the black dot disappear in the C.A. view tube. I added three 3" stabilized tabelts to skimmer two weeks ago. Have I did something wrong here? Or do I just need to add more of the AquaChem tablets?

Thanks in advance!
    20x40 Grecian IG(Liner) 28,000 Jandy AE2500 Heat Pump, Sand Filter, Aquarite SWG, 1HP Pentair WhisperFlo pump-WV Panhandle

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: CYA TEST with TF-100

You will need to purchase stabilizer seperately to put in your pool.....the tabs will not provide enough to bring you up to an adequate level.

You didn't ask, but my thinking is your pool is not adequately chlorinated. Are you chlorinating with anything other than tabs? Do you have test results you can post?
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Dave,

I'm using the SWG and added the Trichloro tabs to bring CYA level up. Here is the test results:

FC-2.4
    PH-7.5
    CC-.5
    CYA-No Reading
    TA-170

Troy
    20x40 Grecian IG(Liner) 28,000 Jandy AE2500 Heat Pump, Sand Filter, Aquarite SWG, 1HP Pentair WhisperFlo pump-WV Panhandle

4. Back To Top    #4

Dave's right, you need to purchase stabilizer/CYA seperately, and bring it up to the proper range for an SWG. The SWG is not going to function properly without it. See Water Balance for SWGs article in Pool School.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

5. Back To Top    #5

OK, went to pool store and bought three 3LB containers at $23.59 a piece. Pool guy told me this would last at least 5 years. He also said I should put in one container every 2 days and wait a month before testing. I feel like such a dumbo for buying the wrong thing! Thanks for the help.

Troy

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Troy,

Calculate your dosage using Jason's pool calulator rather than trusting the pool store. If you have questions, post 'em up.

Also, I would suggest you put it in two jugs at your convenience and then wait to test after a few days. If the results match your calculation, then go ahead and dose on up to recommended levels,,,,,,,usually 60-80ppm.....try to stay under 80.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Dave,

According to the http://www.poolcalculator.com/ I will need 299oz to get to 80PPM. I only bought 3 containers. Looks like I may need 3 more for a total of 18LBs to get the job done. Is this correct?

Thanks,
    Troy

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Bassin37WV
    ...Pool guy told me this would last at least 5 years. He also said I should put in one container every 2 days and wait a month before testing....Troy
    The pool store is "incorrect" about 9Lb lasting 5 years! Use Jason's pool calculator (see frustratedpoolmom's post for the link), fill in the volume of the pool in gallons, 0 CYA to start and a target of 60 and you'll come up with a value different than the 144oz (3x48) that you bought at the pool store. << Yes, your 292 oz number is correct >>
    Future information: If you have a Wal-Mart nearby (?) you might want to look in their small pool section for "Conditioner" or "Stabilizer". They are 3# jugs and are 100% CYA. It's the same thing, just slightly less $$. Just make sure that you away from almost everything else in that section: Wal-Mart seems to have gone "copper-crazy" this year!

Dave's post about using 2 containers now, waiting 5-7 days and testing and adjusting makes perfect sense. The CYA is something that you don't want to overshoot as too high means that you end up doing a partial drain & fill to fix it.

While you are at Wal-Mart anyway, check on how much of their 6% brand bleach you are going to need to sanitize your pool until the CYA dissolves: Shall we say 1 stop shopping?
    Triad Region of NC
    18x37 Vinyl IG (24,000 gal.), BBB & GoldLine AquaLogic PS4 SWG, Hayward 1 HP Superpump / Hayward Sand Filter / Polaris 280 cleaner / 6 deck jets / Sheer Descent Waterfall (in coping) / Brick Red Concrete Coping / Stamped Concrete Deck
    Lots of oak trees, maple trees, *and* leaves!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Bassin37WV
    ...I added three 3" stabilized tabelts to skimmer two weeks ago...
    According to experts and the "Pool School", the Trichlor "pucks" should not be dropped in the skimmer. They are much more acidic (sp?) than the CYA is.
    Triad Region of NC
    18x37 Vinyl IG (24,000 gal.), BBB & GoldLine AquaLogic PS4 SWG, Hayward 1 HP Superpump / Hayward Sand Filter / Polaris 280 cleaner / 6 deck jets / Sheer Descent Waterfall (in coping) / Brick Red Concrete Coping / Stamped Concrete Deck
    Lots of oak trees, maple trees, *and* leaves!