Adding Ladder and Patio After the Fact

Mar 2, 2016
New Orleans
We have had one issue after another with our pool builder, so we are having them do whatever is necessary to finish things up and get the final inspection so we can wash our hands of them.

I have two quick questions -

Right now there is no patio around the pool. We're not sure what we're going to do, but we like the idea of a brick pool deck. The pool builder is bonding the pool as is. They said something about if we were pouring concrete there would have to be rebar and it would all have to be bonded together. But I assume if we just did gravel and sand, there wouldn't be any rebar, so that's a non-issue, correct?

Relatedly, we'd like to add a ladder at some point, which I understand also needs to be bonded. I assume it's simple to just bond that to the existing bonding?

Trying to make sense of all this, and having a hard time deciphering what's what from what I can find online, so hoping some of you wise folks here can help break it down for me.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

There will be no difficult issue with bonding. Bonding is simply connecting all the conductive parts of your pool. It will be easy for you to make those connections since one side of them is already exposed.

A gravel and sand brick deck requires a grid be placed under the deck within 3 feet of the pool. NEC 680.26 (B) (2). Go there for the details but generally it requires a copper grid of # 8 wire or you can substitute rebar.

Search "Mike Holt illustrated guide swimming pools" and chose the first link. That is a good primmer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.