New Jersey
Cl - 0
BR - 0
PH -6.6-6.7
FC - 0
CC - 0
AK - 70
CYA
I haven't done anything yet, had to fill to skimmer level. Where should I start I know I need to raise my ph to 7.4 - 7.6. Should I do that first and run the pool for a day. Should note my water is green. I no longer use inline chlorinator and 12.5% chlorine

Since your water is green, then you have algae (need to SLAM) and possibly ammonia. Hard to tell from my laptop. :) So adjust pH to 7.2 first before the SLAM (raise with soda ash or borax), then do the following:

Treatment for Ammonia:
1. Begin a SLAM and dose FC up to SLAM level. If your CYA test is showing as zero (perhaps already converted to ammonia), use a SLAM/Shock FC of 10. Do not add additional CYA at this point.
2. Retest FC at 10-minute intervals.
a. If FC loss is greater than 50%, add FC to bring back up to SLAM level and continue retesting FC @ 10-minute intervals.
b. IF FC loss is 50% or less, add FC to bring back up to SLAM level. Go to Step 3.
3. If CYA is below 30 ppm, add enough CYA to bring level up to 30 ppm.
4. Continue SLAM as directed in the SLAM article until the SLAM Criteria of Done are met. Test as directed in the SLAM article - no longer need to test FC at 10 minute increments at this point.

based on your info, I believe your test results come from test strips. If so, you will not be able to complete the SLAM process......the strips are not reliable or precise enough for you to complete your SLAM

read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. It tells you how to raise or lower each parameter for which you test.

oh no i have the tfp test kit and have been using it for 3 years now. had a leak in the cover this year so its my first time having a green pool

- - - Updated - - -

i just read that again, sorry its been a year so i am defamiliarizing myself with the procedures and terminology

Ok so my ph is stable at 7.4 chlorine dropped from 10 to 9 overnight. Yesterday I added stabilizer to balance the cya. Problem now is me de filter with 1 hp pump is not circulating. It stops after about an hour. The psi only rises from 12-15. Yesterday I took all the grids apart cleaned with water then reassembled.

Worked well again until it stopped circulating over night. I have been running the pump non stop for 2 days and also using a pool robot to help clean and circulate. Every time j clean the robot there is a lot of algae.

Water is no longer green but very cloudy. Any suggestions to keep the water circulating would be appreciated, there is no backwash on my filter. I thought about not adding de to see if that helps but then I'm afraid it won't filter the algae.

Can you please add your pool info/equipment to your signature? You can add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later. This link may also help you: Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post.

Most DE filters have backwash capability, so I'm curious to know what brand/model you have. In the meantime, psi rising and flow slowing down is a sign that your filter is doing what it is supposed to do - catch the dead algae. As the SLAM continues, you will have to watch your filter psi often and clean the filter as required.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.