Made quite few changes, now have pump/filter issues

MCan56

Mar 25, 2013
Shawnee OK
So I got industrious and decided to remove some extra PVC after my pool heater was removed from the system last year. I removed about 8 feet total (1.5" pipe) that at about 4' had a double 90 degree elbow where it used to go into and out of the heater. This was my first foray into PVC, as I paid a guy to do the bypass last year and I guess I got what I deserved ;)

In order to do this, I knew I needed a sand change, so I did that. Emptied the sand filter, pulled it out of the way and redid my plumbing. It's a little off due to the deeper seating while glueing vs the dry fit, but was workable. It's all plumbed up with no leaks.

HOWEVER...the pool is mighty green because I'm opening late with no filtration over the last few weeks. As I run the pump, I have a good 20 psi reading on the filter, but it rapidly rises to 30 (within 30-45 minutes) and if I look in the filter window the water is low, but not gone. If I turn off the pump, and let it sit a few seconds and turn it back on, I get a big surge of water out of the suction line and back to 20 psi for a while. What could be going on?

One thing for sure ... you have algae and need to "SLAM" your pool and illustrated on the link below in my sig. The algae is not only unsightly but also overwhelming your filter. It's very common. Perform everything as noted on the SLAM page and you should see a major improvement.

As you prepare to start your SLAM, be aware that you will still clog the filter very quickly-----at first.

Keep the FC going into the pool and the time interval between cleanings will continue to increase.

At the end of the SLAM, you probably won't have to clean that cartridge much at all.

Ok, I was wondering if that was it. The filter was so clogged that I was getting VERY little filtering last year. I had no idea what a clean bed of sand would really do, so I was wondering of that was what it was. I am currently SLAMing, it's already grey instead of green :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.