New gauge questions

doc8404

Silver Supporter
Sep 13, 2015
Rome, NY
When they installed my pool, the Hayward gauge always read 28 psi. They told me to backflush when I got down to 18. I never realized the gauge should be zero until being a part of this forum.

Now with the new gauge, it reads 15.5. Do I wait until it is at five before backflushing or is there a chance that it is already lower than it should be and needs to be back flushed ?

Sorry about that. It reads 15.5 when the pump is running. The new one I got from you guys shows 0 off. So I guess my question is 15.5 good? Do I wait till it's at five before I backflush? Or does that pressure tell me needs to be backflush now ?

You seem to have it a bit backwards. The dirtier the filter gets, the HIGHER the pressure will be.

Right now, you need to establish your "Normal Low" Do so by backflushing rinsing and then going back to filter and (remember/write down/note) that normal low.

As you run the filter, the psi will slowly climb and you should back flush again when the psi rises by 25%

So if you started at 15.5 as your normal low, then your signal to back flush would be 15.5 x 1.25% = roughly 20psi

So, you have a reasonable starting point. Each time I pass my filter, I take a quick look at the gauge to see if all is normal. You may not have to backwash for a long time.......that's good!

Those gauges are good, but you can still have a little fluctuation from time to time based on your pool's water flow. You were at about 15 psi before, so perhaps your filter system and sand are settling-in and acclimating to everything resulting in a little drop. If you had a big drop we might be concerned about water flow, suction line blockage, etc from the pool to the pump. But I don't think that's case with you at this time. I would just monitor it from time to time. Remember, it will always read 0 when off - no movement of water, no pressure to the filter, therefore no psi. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Six month old gauge now reading 15 when off. Turn pump off and it shoots over 30.
I took plumbing off and there is flow and backflow as appropriate so I'm thinking it has to be the gauge.
Anyone know of one that lasts longer than six months?

heres the one I have
TFTestkits.net

Of course, TFTestkits will replace your gauge. All you needed to do was ask.

Your post is confusing
Six month old gauge now reading 15 when off. Turn pump off and it shoots over 30.
I assume you mean it goes over 30 when you turn the pump on, correct? and I also assume that when you shut the pump off the gauge goes to 15 and stays there.

Curious......do you remember when it started doing this?

Just noticed the other day. I have not had the pump running for the last three weeks.
Sorry about the confusion. Yes, when the pump is off or I remove the gauge it is it 15. When I turn the pump on it goes over 30.

Gorgeous day out, so I wanted to test and then remove the plumbing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.