Muratic Acid

I can't think of any reason to worry about brands. It is available in most big box stores, generally in the paint department. I get mine at Lowes. They stock the full strength 31% (20 baume) and the "low fume" half strength. You pay the same for both types, so I go wit the full strength stuff.

Muriatic Acid is Muriatic Acid, just like salt is salt. Brands really don't mean much.

Pool stores sell it, as do a lot of big box hardware stores. Sometimes they have it out in the patio section where the pool stuff is, and sometimes it's in the paint section because it's used to etch concrete before painting. Check the strength. A lot of times they cut it 50% to call it safe or low-fuming, without cutting the price. Standard strength is 31.45% also called 20 Baum. That's some archaic measurement, don't ask me what it means.

Have you read Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals ? It tells you what chemical does what and how to add it.

Here is the secret decoder ring for pool chemicals, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Our Lowes has both strengths in the paint section same price for either strength and 31.45% in the pool section. It just occurred to me that I should check the price to see if one is cheaper, they are definitely different brands.

I checked just this thing at our Lowes south of DFW and it was cheaper in the pool/patio area.

I had been buying muriatic acid at Lowe's or Home Depot but they both only carry the low odor now. It is garbage, do not buy it. It's watered down and takes twice as much and it's the same price as full strength. I found the full strength at my local hardware for $1 less than the big box. I think the paint stores may be a good place to buy it as well. The brand I bought is Sunnyside. Be careful with this stuff. Read directions! A good whiff of this stuff can do permanent lung damage.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
how much are you guys paying? I paid $9 for a gallon at my local Ace Hardware the other day, and felt like that was quite high. I haven't seen it at my Lowes or Home Depot in their pool sections, but I'll check the paint departments next time I'm there.

I had been buying muriatic acid at Lowe's or Home Depot but they both only carry the low odor now. It is garbage, do not buy it. It's watered down and takes twice as much and it's the same price as full strength. I found the full strength at my local hardware for $1 less than the big box. I think the paint stores may be a good place to buy it as well. The brand I bought is Sunnyside. Be careful with this stuff. Read directions! A good whiff of this stuff can do permanent lung damage.

This exactly why I will only buy the low odor stuff now. After dealing with the extremely hazardous fumes of the full strength stuff on calm mornings, I'll pay a little more for the lower strength, low fume stuff to avoid those "puke inducing" fumes! ;)

This exactly why I will only buy the low odor stuff now. After dealing with the extremely hazardous fumes of the full strength stuff on calm mornings, I'll pay a little more for the lower strength, low fume stuff to avoid those "puke inducing" fumes! ;)

Is there a preferred method of adding? I have been taking a bucket 1/2 full of water and putting the acid in that first. Then pouring from the bucket to the pool.

I don't think there is a formally preferred method but try to stay upwind and its usually suggested to only handle it once since it fumes more when poured, i.e. pour directly into the pool. It can be difficult to measure that way, but I usually go light and then retest, and repeat. Its a ball park thing to me.

The only note I'll have is that if you wear a mask, make sure it protects your eyes as well. There was an event where a member damaged their eyes, albeit i don't believe permanently, because the mask was filtering their nose and lungs but their eyes were exposed. By the time their eyes burned it caused a lot of discomfort and doctor visits.

I am not finding any full strength stuff easily so far. I have been to Home Depot and Orchard Supply Hardware so far. Home Depot didn't have anything labeled Muriatic acid in the pool section, just a bunch of the HDX branded products. In the paint section they had a bottle that said "90% less fumes" but I couldn't find a strength on the bottle. OSH had the same container in the paint section, and in the pool section they had Kem-tech brand MA, but it's only 14.5%. That's what I ended up buying because we had nothing at all and we're just starting out. Lowes is too far to make it worth our while. It doesn't seem to be as common to find here. Of course, there is a Leslie's a few blocks from here, but I've never been in there yet.

I am not finding any full strength stuff easily so far. I have been to Home Depot and Orchard Supply Hardware so far. Home Depot didn't have anything labeled Muriatic acid in the pool section, just a bunch of the HDX branded products. In the paint section they had a bottle that said "90% less fumes" but I couldn't find a strength on the bottle. OSH had the same container in the paint section, and in the pool section they had Kem-tech brand MA, but it's only 14.5%. That's what I ended up buying because we had nothing at all and we're just starting out. Lowes is too far to make it worth our while. It doesn't seem to be as common to find here. Of course, there is a Leslie's a few blocks from here, but I've never been in there yet.
It seems many stores are cutting back on the full strength stuff in favor of the "low fume" half strength stuff. As an example, my Lowes no longer carries the full strength, only the half strength. But, I found out my local mom/pop pool store sells full strength for less than Lowes was selling it for. So, I'm back to the pool store for at least one thing.

Dunno about OSH but where I live, HD and Lowes has the 31.45% in their paint section. Both stores has plenty of the 14.5% (Lowes carries Kemtek and HD has the HDX) in the pool section. The latter is more expensive though. I normally go to nearby Leslie's for MA (31.45%). A pack of 2 gals is $14.99 + tax (88 cents cheaper than buying individual bottle from Lowes @7.88).

Where I live, neither Lowes or Home Depot carry full strength. My local ace harware does, but it's like $8 a gallon. If you have any farm supply type stores near you, check there. Or Menards. My rural king carries full strength MA (same brand as Ace) for $4 a gallon, and Menards has it for $5.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.