AP Report: Health Problems Found in 80% Of Public Pools

Kpag

Silver Supporter
Feb 17, 2015
Dallas TX
In the paper today.
2uyhrlu.png

But, we aren't kidding when we say to never let your chlorine level drop below minimum for your CYA level or your pool will be unsanitary with increased risk of person to person disease transmission. Algae will grow too.

So... who here came up with the CYA numbers and level of FC to keep in the pool?

I get the pool places just want to sell you stuff... so maybe they don't want it healthy, but he told me i need the FC under 5 even though the CYA is 80 ish... like CYA didn't even matter to them...

So... who here came up with the CYA numbers and level of FC to keep in the pool?

I get the pool places just want to sell you stuff... so maybe they don't want it healthy, but he told me i need the FC under 5 even though the CYA is 80 ish... like CYA didn't even matter to them...
Chemgeek proposed the FC/CYA ratios listed here, backing it with quite a bit of research.

If you have your propeller hat handy, you can jump down the rabbit hole here: Pool Water Chemistry

So why doesn't the pool industry acknowledge science? I think it's some combination of "stuck in their ways", and not wanting to lose sales on stabilized chlorine which have higher profit margins than liquid.

The FC/CYA idea originated with Ben Powell, who used studies, talks with chemists, and his own personal data to come up with an early version of the chart. Richard Falk (chem geek) polished it up and put together the chart we still use today.

From my HTC One via Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.