New Pool owner - which test kit should I buy?

Sep 5, 2015
Smithtown, NY
The pool builder left me with some generic testing strips, but I am curious to know if there is a more comprehensive and accurate test kit that this community recommends. I have an 18 x 36 in ground pool with a Hayward pump and salt water generator.
Thanks!

There is a great test kit :)

The TF100 is hands down the best priced kit with the most tests, the taylor kit will also work just as well but you get less reagents TFTestkits.net

And if I may, the speedstir is worth its weight in gold :)

The Speedstir came out about five years ago, I think. I am a no frills guy and refused to carry it. Then, I bought one and did the tests :testkit:

Eureka!! That device made my testing so much more precise. You can certainly do without it but I don't think I have EVER had someone say they didn't like the swpeedstir.

Thanks for the feedback. I currently have a bottle of Aquacheck test strips, but took a water sample to a local pool supply store this morning and walked away $150 lighter in the wallet. Is there an online source for better prices? Or would shipping negate any cost savings?

I will look into the test kits you guys recommended.
Thanks!

Thanks for the feedback. I currently have a bottle of Aquacheck test strips, but took a water sample to a local pool supply store this morning and walked away $150 lighter in the wallet. Is there an online source for better prices? Or would shipping negate any cost savings?

I will look into the test kits you guys recommended.
Thanks!
Stop giving your money to the pool store.Buy the T100 kit and study up in pool school.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

The pool store conducted their own test with their in house testing equipment. The part that was a bit disconcerting was that one of the workers gave me instructions that was contradictory to what another worker had given. Who to believe?! I will have to get more educated on the subject.

Never put ANYTHING in your pool unless you know what it is and what the outcome will be. That pool store has no idea what your pool needs based on test strips.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A new pool guy to another, listen to what the posters are saying. They have saved me a lot of cash by reading up here and doing as much as I can on my own.

In regards to test kits, I have been using the Taylor K-2006 for the last couple of years. It seems daunting at first but if you read up on pool school and watch some youtube videos, the kit is easy to use.

A new pool guy to another, listen to what the posters are saying. They have saved me a lot of cash by reading up here and doing as much as I can on my own.

In regards to test kits, I have been using the Taylor K-2006 for the last couple of years. It seems daunting at first but if you read up on pool school and watch some youtube videos, the kit is easy to use.
I appreciate the feedback. It's great having this resource to help get started.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Yea. That $150 you spent could have paid for a home testkit that is accurate! No more driving to pool stores for conflicting advise. Did you use any of the stuff you bought? See if you can return any of the things you didn't open.
I haven't used any of it yet. But won't I eventually need the chemicals? Even if the better test kit indicates a more balanced water chemistry than the store, by June or July I'm guessing I'll need to use some of the products I purchased. Specifically, stabilizer, a case of liquid shock, calcium plus, and alkalinity plus.

The alkalinity plus is chemically identical to baking soda from the grocery store which costs maybe a buck a pound. Return that. The calcium plus is a maybe. What brand is it?

Most of the pool store products contain ingredients you can get at the grocery much, much cheaper.

The alkalinity plus is chemically identical to baking soda from the grocery store which costs maybe a buck a pound. Return that. The calcium plus is a maybe. What brand is it?

Most of the pool store products contain ingredients you can get at the grocery much, much cheaper.
The brand name on all the products is Chemex. A friend of mine told me about the baking soda thing today as well, I should have done my research beforehand. One of those smaller packages, not sure if it was the stabilizer or the alkaline, cost $45. Seems pretty steep for a 4 or 10 pound package.

It appears to be just calcium chloride. That is good. However, in the future, you may be able to find it cheaper. Your mentioned $45 for either alkalinity plus or stabilizer. I already talked about the price of the alkalinity plus (baking soda). I just bought 6.5# of stabilizer (100% CYA) for $12.78. In my area, it is always less than $3/lb.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.