LifeTime Supporter
Jul 29, 2008
San Antonio, Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
The CompuPool Pool Salt System Chlorine Generator 40K gal is on the way. $649 with "Buy it Now" on EBay.
I plan to DIY. I am a handy guy but welcome all comments and suggestions!

As I inspect the existing plumbing it is really old an seems to have numerous repairs.
It also uses 2 inch PVC which I understand is small for a 27000 gal pool by today's standards.
The heater doesn't work and I do not expect that I will be heating the pool with natural gas in this lifetime.
So ... should I take this opportunity to replace all the PVC?
I was thinking of using 2 inch input 2.5 inch output 3-way valves and plumb with 2.5 inch PVC on the filter/pump side to avoid restricting 2 inch x two pipes to 2 inch x one pipe. That way I will at least maintain a larger cross section in the system.

I'm also thinking I should ditch the heater in the circuit.

If I switch the valve at the filter too (as I must) that will be a significant expense just to get a 2.5 inch cross section. Is that worthwhile overall?

Opinions?[attachment=2:2on38402]Pool plumbing 2 inch intake.jpg[/attachment:2on38402][attachment=1:2on38402]Pool plumbing 2 inch to pump.jpg[/attachment:2on38402][attachment=0:2on38402]Pool plumbing overhead.jpg[/attachment:2on38402]

Attachments

• Pool plumbing 2 inch intake.jpg
    Pool plumbing 2 inch intake.jpg
    270 KB · Views: 632
  • Pool plumbing 2 inch to pump.jpg
    Pool plumbing 2 inch to pump.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 632
  • Pool plumbing overhead.jpg
    Pool plumbing overhead.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 632
More pics:[attachment=1:2k13rz9f]Pool plumbing side view.jpg[/attachment:2k13rz9f][attachment=0]Pool plumbing overview.jpg[/attachment

Attachments

• Pool plumbing side view.jpg
    Pool plumbing side view.jpg
    363.9 KB · Views: 626
  • Pool plumbing overview.jpg
    Pool plumbing overview.jpg
    352.4 KB · Views: 620
2" pipe is fine. If you have some 1.5" pipe mixed in you might want to think about replacing that.

You have several choices about how much to replace. I would probably only replace from the output of the multi-port rotary valve to where the return lines go into the ground. The rest of it, while old, looks to be in reasonable condition. Unless you are having problems with it, it might be better to leave it alone. Plus, the pipe layout on the suction side of the pump looks fairly good. Most of the complexity appears to be happening after the filter.

Thanks! That simplifies things. Would you build a second support for the SWG control box or build a new one to hold both timers and the SWG? I have been wanting to elevate the timer boxes to about 3 ft or so instead of so close to the ground. Any suggestions for a spiffy support system?

The Compupool arrived Friday - double-boxed and in good condition. The controller is surprisingly heavy! Once I decided on a layout the plumbing was straightforward with carefull measuring and glueing.

It seems I do have 1.5 indh ID PVC pipe so I need to think about dealing with that. Just not now. I am going to rebuild the timer and controller support before I wire it in. I am assumung I should wire it so that it recieves power only when the pump is on?

Attachments

• CompuPool Install.jpg
    CompuPool Install.jpg
    369.2 KB · Views: 535
I received a PM asking about the Compupool 40k SWG from eBay.
It is still working great!
Talk about a trouble free pool!
I went through the whole winter just removing leaves from the skimmer and Polaris about once a week.
NO CHEMICALS ADDED!
None.
The pH runs a little high - 7.8 or so - but I learned to just let it ride and stop adding acid.
All is well.
Far different from my first post on this board.

My salt cell needed replacement this season.

I was thirty days within the 3 year pro-rated warranty.
Compupool is sending me a new cell at 66% of the cost of new.

I am very happy with that.

That is a real savings because the final price is still considerably below street price on aBay and elsewhere.

Very pleased with Compupool!

You revived the thread :) so I figured Id ask a question:

Is the power cord length really 1.8m as listed in the manual? So I need to have the control panel within ~6ft of the cell? Seems kinda short to me....wondering if there was a typo.

And if it really is that short, is there a way to extend it? My storage shed is probably 10' away from where the cell would be, add another 5' or so for wire travel in through the floor, 15' would be perfect (I know the AquaRite is 15'). I dont mind extending the wire to the Compupool if it can be done.

Thanks.

-Chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.