First Closing/Opening TFP Method

cvgnus

LifeTime Supporter
May 31, 2015
Massapequa, NY
Hello all. Glad to be back here and I see the forum is buzzing!

Overall I have had a pretty uneventful opening this season since closing the pool last season according to the advice given here. But have a few questions regarding my opening test results. The water was a tad cloudy right after opening but after topping off, adjusting FC, pH, TA, brushing and running the filter for a few hours the clarity and sparkle was back.

Closing tests results: Early November

FC 16
CC 0
(taken prior to raising to shock level)
pH 7.2
TA 90
CH 225
CYA 40
Salt 1700
Borate 50

Opening test results: Mid May

FC 3
CC 0
pH 7.4
TA 50
CH 100
CYA 0
Salt 1200
Borate 15
Ammonia 0

The water was not circulated prior to testing but I did brush a bit. Is the drop in CH, CYA and Borate expected in a covered pool over about 7 months?

I think you should circulate and then test ... what is the point of brushing if you are not filtering it out?

Snow and rain would certainly dilute the CH and borates and CYA

I bushed prior to filtering to mix the water a bit to see what the condition of my water was after 7 months of sitting under a cover. No water from rain or snow infiltrated the cover as the water level was the same 2" below the inlet.

Yes the November numbers were just before I lowered the water to below the inlet. May numbers were _before_ I added water to the pool. There was no water of any kind added to the pool between November closing numbers and May opening numbers. If I did add 12" to 16" inches of water it could not explain the CYA of 0. Sorry if I was not clear in my posts

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.