Ok, so really how important are the returns?

CaptainCannonball

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
May 18, 2016
Woodland, Ca
New pool, builder came and set up equipment to run 6hrs at 1750rpm and one hour at 3000 rpm for the cleaner. There is a Jandy 3 way valve to divert between return lines and the pool sweep. They mentioned that it was a (set and forget) valve. Currently set for around 75% pool sweep and 25% returns. For the hour at 3000rpm the pool sweep works well, but for the other 6 hours, it finds its way into the corner and spins its wheels. Seems like a lot of wear with no benefit. Should I throw another actuator on the Jandy valve for the pool sweep or can I just turn off the returns? When I just have them open a tiny bit, there is a fair amount of cavitation noise. would it be worse for the cleaner to run at 2250 for 5 hours or spin its wheels in the corner for that long.

3000rpms with the sweep and returns going is ~1500 watts

2250rpms with the returns closed makes the sweep faster and costs ~500watts

1750 with the valve set by the builder is around 300watts

I take it the sweep is a pressure side...

I feel a test coming :)

try 2250 rpm, half for the time for the sweep and the other half for return and see how it looks after 1 week..

If the water looks good and your FC level is good try taking the time down for both

if it starts to look cloudy or not clear, up the time and see where you land :)

For skimming/filtering I use 1100 RPM that uses around 150 Watts per hour. If we assume 6 hours at a cost of 0.16 per kWh = 0.15 per day for skimming, 1 hour of cleaner @ 500 watts = $0.08 per day for a total $0.23 if you had an actuator controlling the setup.

PB recommendation 300 watts for 6 hours = $0.29 1 hour at 1500 watts = $0.24 for a total of $0.53 per day

An intermatic valve actuator cost $86 on amazon. It will take 286 days of operation for you to save enough in electrical costs to justify the valve actuator. Let's call it 2 years since you will not have to run at those levels all year long and that does not factor in the savings on wear on the cleaner.

...that does not factor in the savings on wear on the cleaner.

Do you think it is more wear on the cleaner spinning its wheels in the corner of my pool or under normal operation? Or maybe a wash?

I am mostly interested in any drawbacks of basically using my Polaris as my primary return.

I wasnt really trying to demonstrate any monetary savings by running the cleaner for a longer period of time :D sorry for the confusion. I was just contemplating running it the whole time at 2250rpm.

Do you think it's worth it to add the actuator?

Last edited:
Cleaners are a pain, after a while they start acting weird and you have to mess with them more and more. I threw mine in the yard a month ago because it wouldn't act right and then it got hailed on and broke the ballast. Now it is ded! :) I would run it as little as possible to get the floor clean. Maybe an hour a day or less. I used to run mine manually an hour maybe twice a week.

I am with atttech-2 on low speed skimming at 1100 rpm, except I run mine 12 to 24 hours a day depending on how busy the trees are. Keep the stuff in the skimmer baskets and off the bottom.

I don't think you will get a good circular rotation pattern in the pool to make the skimmers work if most of the water is going to the cleaner. And, I've never heard of anyone doing that so you are a pioneer of new pool theory! :)

So, now that I have tossed my cleaner out of the pool. I also don't like it much because it had some algae growing in it last summer. Anyway, enough pool cleaner hating, what I do now to clean the bottom is put all the suction to the bottom drain, (usually it is 80% skimmer/20% drain) scoop any leaves with a leaf rake and brush the pool toward the drain. Works great, all the dust and junk goes to the drain and bigger stuff gets caught in the pump basket and the rest goes to the filter.

If you have a bottom drain that is.

Actuator vs higher RPM is personal preference, if you do go higher RPM you can run less but there will be more wear on the cleaner, will it reduce it's useful life buy a significant amount I can't say.

VS pumps are more cost effective at lower RPM's and also much quieter. I love mine for both those reasons and adding the actuator would allow you to take advantage of that and still automate the cleaner.

Before you decide you might want to talk to whomever is installing the solar it could affect your options and therefore your decision depending on how it gets plumbed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I run my pump, 3hp, at 1100 rpm (150w) for skimming and making chlorine and at 1950 rpm (550w) for solar.

Ha, leaves? We have LEAVES. Check my build thread, link in sig. Our skimmers fill to the lid in 15 minutes!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.