ms097613 Opening my 18x48 easy set pool and trying to do it the right way

May 20, 2016
Chesapeake
We ave owned a few intex easy set pools through the last few years. This is my second year with this specific pool. We didnt cover it all winter, just drained it. Today we flipped it over and got the nasty water out. I put bleach in and scrubbed the liner as we began filling it and smoothing it out. Ive got a good test kit and the basic chemicals. We use our pool A LOT (we are a family of 8!) and it rains A LOT. Plus, in the past I dont think we ever used stabilizer so we never kept a steady chlorine level. So, here I am. I have taken college level chemistry and I am a Nursing major so I get the acid/base balance stuff but still feel unsure if I should treat this size of a pool as a seasonal or regular pool (since its 5,500 at 80% capacity)

Welcome to TFP :)

Seasonal if you plan on using it just the summer but really its all the same :)

Check out below in the recommended levels, they are the same for all pools for you if you do not have the test for CYA it is ok, just use poolmath to add CYA up to 30 and use only bleach/liquid chlorine from walmart

MA is the only thing you really need from lowes everything else from walmart :)

I hope this helps and please ask any questions that you come up with

Treat it as a full-sized vinyl-lined pool. That's what it is. If things go haywire, dumping and refilling it three times a season isn't really feasible.

If you go down to Suggested Goal Levels in poolmath and select vinyl/bleach/tfp it will autofill suggested levels. It will also update chlorine levels when you input different CYA values. You will note that CH can be as low as zero... so don't waste any money buying any. You should still test it, since you have the right kit and you could still get scale.