Pool issues - 3rd year with pool

May 25, 2014
Leola PA
This is the 3rd year we have opened our pool. We did not have a pool cover on our pool this past fall/winter because it ripped when we went to put it on and we weren't able to afford another one. So, obviously our pool was very green and had lots of debris in it when we went to open it.

Our goal was to follow the SLAM method and get all the levels balanced in the water.

Day 1:
When we first started to work on the pool, the levels were very off. There was virtually no CYA or chlorine and the PH was too high.

We have been working on the pool for about 5-6 days so far. After adding bleach on day 1, the pool immediately changed from a dark green color to a very cloudy blue green. We were constantly checking and emptying the skimmers and using a net to get out debris. After 6 days, the pool doesn't look any different. It is still blue/green and so cloudy you can't see the bottom at all.

These are our readings currently at Day 6:
FC 7 (pool started to hold chlorine for past 2 days)
CC 1
CH 125
TA 70
CYA 15
PH 7.8
TA 46

This is what we have done over the past 6 days:
Added about 3lbs acid stabilizer to bring up CYA (I think it has been in about 4 days)
Added about 25 gallons of bleach
Added something to bring the PH down (it was originally over 8).

One main problem we are having is our filter. We have changed the DE powder about 1 time EVERY day (about 5-6 total times) because about 15 min. after we change it, the pool pressure jumps up to an extremely high level and virtually no water is going through the filter. Bumping doesn't bring the filter pressure down at all. So, we only run it a 4-5 hrs. a day right after changing the DE for fear the high pressure will damage the pump.

Our water is extremely cloudy and not changing. There seems to be a film on top of the pool and lots of particles in the water. We don't know what else to do besides keep buying DE powder so that we can run the pump for a few hrs. every day. But, that is getting really expensive and isn't seeming to get us anywhere.

I think we need to bring the CYA up higher (I heard it takes a week to bring it up, and it hasn't been that long yet). But, if chlorine levels are holding between 7-8, shouldn't we start to see some changes in the water?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!

That's the downside to DE. When you have to SLAM, you are going to go through a lot of DE. You might try skimmer sock(s) to see if you can catch some of it at the skimmer rather than at the filter.

There isn't any other debris that we can get out anymore - it is all too fine. We had been using hair nets at the skimmer baskets to catch bigger stuff. It didn't seem to make a difference - the pump psi jumped up just as when we didn't use them.

So, what should be our main focus right now given our pool levels and filter situation?

-change the DE powder daily and try and run the pump until the pressure won't come down? The problem we are facing is that our pressure starts at 10psi after we change the DE, but then after 10-15 min. it is up at 20+ dpi. And that is with us bumping it every 5 min. Then after about 30 min, bumping doesn't bring the pressure down anymore and we are hesitant to keep the pump running.

Should we keep adding a significant amount of bleach? I thought by adding enough bleach, the algea would die and sink to the bottom? I'm not sure why the water is so cloudy (and not improving).

My husband stopped at a pool store to get another set of readings on our water. Their chlorine reading was about 11 (I think my husband took a water sample too soon after he added bleach to the pool bc it was only 7 when I tested it with our kit a few hrs. later). But, the pool guy said if your chlorine is that high, there is no way algea living in the water and we should get something called Revive which will cause all the particles to sink to the bottom so we can vacuum them. Any input on that product?

Hair nets won't catch the fine stuff a skimmer sock will. They are just good for the larger stuff.

The algae will continue to float around and make your water cloudy until it is all cleared out.

You are done when:
CC is 0.5 or lower;
You pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less);
And the water is clear.

Don't forget. Pool stores do not know the relationship between FC and CYA. If your CYA was 100, 11 would not be high. But they don't know that.

What test kit are you using to test your water? I wouldn't trust pool store and don't put anything in they recommend. It's going to be a matter of continuing to clean your filter and keep your FC level in accordance with your CYA. Can you post another set of results?

Thank you. I'm just not sure specifically what we should be doing.....constantly changing DE and adding more chlorine?
Is there anything else that could be making is cloudy?

- - - Updated - - -

I have the recommended one by this site. Those readings I above are what I got today from it. My CYA is too low at this point. But, it is holding chlorine better than when we started about 6 days ago. So, the acid we added has brought it up some. We should probably add more acid to bring it up higher. But, with the crazy amounts of bleach we are adding in, I would just think that we would be seeing a difference in the water over the last few days (algea should be dying and falling to the bottom?).

Is it normal to change the DE and then have the pump basically too high to use after 30 min (and continual bumping)?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.