Climbing pH ??

Philo

Oct 8, 2015
San Diego, Ca.
I've been using the SWG for 5 weeks and I have to add 1 gal of 31% Muriatic Acid per week to keep my pH below 8.2. It will go to 7.4 after the dose but climbs to 8.2 in a week.
FC 9
CYA 70
TA 90
Salt 3400
Calcium 230
pH 7.4---->8.2
I have a good size Fountain recently installed....

Does this seem normal?

SWG aerates and raises the pH
Fountains aerate and raise the pH

As you keep adding acid, the TA should lower and the pH rise should slow down. Maybe when you get the TA to 50-60ppm, the pH rise will nearly stop or get stable around 7.8

Wait it takes a gallon to lower mine from 8.0 to 7.3. My pool is significantly larger than yours. Are you sure that's right for you to use a gallon? I thought I was the only one on here with a gallon per week consumption rate. :)

You need to get the TA down before considering borates. And with the borates, you use the same amount of acid to lower the pH, you just do not have to do it as often, but when you do, it takes a lot more acid.

Thanks Jason
I'm a little unclear on lowering my TA.
The way I read it is to hammer the pH down to 7.2 and let it climb up over and over again until the TA comes down?
If that's right, how many "hammer down" cycles do I go through. I'm at at least 5 now?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.