Should I use recirculate while putting DE in my sand filter?

May 31, 2014
Burlington, NC
I am still trying to clear my murky green pool SLAMing since 5/11 and am to the stage where I am not seeing much change day to day. It is still cloudy sea green looking somewhat blue around the edges so I have started adding DE to the skimmer basket. I backwash after a few hours but am wondering if I use recirculate if that would be more helpful (after reading one of my questions from years past about what recirculate is used for.) I know from last year it will take a few weeks to clear but am trying to accelerate the process again. Is recirculate useful for this?

FC = 15
pH = 7.2
CYA = 40

Thanks for any input.

Recirculate is good if your pool is really full of sludge and it clogs up the filter quickly and you can't be around to watch the pressure. Times like working and sleeping...

If the water's still greenish, algae's still growing and no amount of filtering will clear it. You'll remove the dead stuff but what's still alive in the water will just grow some more.

San filters actually filter best when they're a little dirty,. so backwashing more often than you must actually makes it filter worse. So watch the gauge. When it climbs 25%, then backwash. Concentrate more on maintaining FC levels and brushing. Algae will grow a slimy film - sort of a scab - to protect itself. You want to brush that off so it can be exposed and killed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.