New Filter and Pump installation- I notice some flow in the returns on Rinse/Waste...

May 20, 2016
Quebec
Hello everyone,

I'm long time lurker and appreciate greatly the information I've gathered through this community in the past years (mostly in learning about Chemical balance!)

Today, I've had a replacement for my Pump and Sand Filter (old pump was old and noisy as heck, leaking a bit... old filter started leaking too). Since I'm a newb when it comes to pools and especially everything related to Pumping, I've purchased and installed through a professional

I'm noticing something with my new Pump and Filter. When I put the valve to "Waste", I notice a slight flow in the returns in my pool. The flow is weak, but I do feel it. When I put the valve to "Rinse", I also notice a very significant flow (much stronger than on Waste). Naturally, water pressure that comes out of my waste pipe in the street seems less than usual.

Is it normal to have significant flow in the pool returns when on "Rinse"? Could this be an issue with my new Filter, specifically the Multi-Valve?

Thanks for your thoughts and experience!

EDIT: I should add that I feel the handle for the multi-valve is a bit 'looser' than my old Filter. Like it doesn't sit completely down as tight as the previous one.

Last edited:
Thanks jblizzle! I'll call my friendly installer and let him know that something isn't working properly with the valve!

Update for those who might one day follow this thread for similar advice:

Turns out there was something wrong (of course). Apparently the Pool Guy mixed up 2 pipes and hooked them up wrong. He still says that the handle on the new Pentair sand filter is meant to be loose, which I'm not convinced of... Fixing the pipes seems to have resolved the flow in pool returns problem (on waste, rinse and backwash). Will have to run some tests later on. Now my water is a bit messed up because his faulty setup sent some sand in the water and it's all blurry. Hopefully that'll settle down with a bit of time and vacuuming

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.