help me understand stenner setup for chlorine

May 11, 2016
Troy IL
Hi all. I'm relatively new here, but loving the method and I want to get an auto chlorine feeder set up. I have a Pool Frog XL plumbed into my setup now, and I think this weekend I'm going to cut it out and replace it with a straight pipe. At the same time, I'd really love to prepare my injection point for a stenner pump.

So, my questions:

Which Stenner pump should I go for? I've read at least 10gpd is needed. I'm thinking 22gpd sounds good. That would feed in nearly a gallon in an hour, and if I ever needed more than that I'd be manually doing it anyway. If I look in the 25psi category of pumps, I can get up to 50gpd, but in the 100psi category, only up to 22gpd. Which leads me to my next question...

What is the PSI rating on the stenner pumps about? How do I know if I need 25 or 100 psi?

Lastly, all of these pumps say they come with an injection fitting. What does this look like, and what do I need to do to my 1.5" PVC pipe to prepare it for the injection site? Is there a barb or something I need to install?

Thanks! I don't think I'd seen that thread, and it is indeed very much like my situation. I still don't fully understand what the PSI rating on the pumps is, but I saw Bamba's comment about the fixed rate vs variable and which he/she also mentioned recommending the higher PSI pumps. So, while my question wasn't really answered, I know what I want to purchase now.

I also much prefer the idea of timing my stenner pump with a cheap electronic timer and running it for as long as needed. I like the idea of the 22gpd so that I can feed all my chlorine in under an hour. i can adjust the timing to adjust my dosages.

Lastly though, I still don't see how you go about connecting the injection fitting to my PVC.

As far as connecting the injection fitting, if you are going to cut out the Frog and replace it with a piece of straight pipe, I would recommend putting a tee in with the straight pipe. I had an inline chlorinator that used tabs, I cut it out and replaced it with a section of straight pipe and a PCV tee fitting, then glued a bushing/reducer in the tee that the injection fitting threads into.

Russ

If your pump timer and the timer you choose for the Stenner will allow it you are better off with smaller more frequent injection times, say 3 or 4 per day. The more often you inject the steadier you can keep your FC so you basicly end up being able to run the pool like it has an SWG.

The only difference between the low and high PSI pumps is the high one comes with a 100 PSI check valve. Since you will be injecting after the filter all you need is the low PSI unit but the cost difference is not that much so go with which ever you think best.

Connecting the injection point you can either do as Russ sugested and put a Tee with a threaded reducer (that is what I did although mine is torn apart at the moment because I am working on prepping for a solar heater) or you can just tap into the PVC most that go this route do it at a coupling or elbow because the walls are thicker at that point.

Well, it wasn't that I wanted to inject it all in an hour, it's just that I'm trying to automate what I would otherwise do manually. If I were doing it manually, it would all be dumped in within 2 minutes or so. I thought be spreading it over an hour I was doing pretty dang good!

But I see all of your points, and will change my plan to spread out the chlorine injections. I'm still not sure I want a slower pump, but I assume that's personal preference.

A threaded reducer is what I was thinking I'd do. I'll grab one of those tomorrow.

Thanks all!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.