leak....I think

rhythm

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 1, 2008
Lake Forest, CA
I think I have an air leak somewhere, but I'm not quite sure. My pool and equipment are about 2 1/2 years old. About a month ago, I noticed one morning that shortly after our pump turned on that it sounded like it was priming itself.

I went and looked and it was nearly full but was still filling itself back up with water. Since then I've noticed that every time the pump is on there's some air in there (pump basket area) sloshing around with the water. Normally it was always completely full with water and you couldn't see water or air moving around in there at all (maybe a tiny bubble or two here and there, but that's it).

The pressure gauge on top of the filter is reading normal. Tonight after the pump had been off for a while I went out and looked at it, and the water level in the pump had dropped down to just below the inlet pipe. So I took the lid off and cleaned the basket, then turned on the pump and let it self-prime. Again, it filled, but not completely as it used to. There was some air at the top that never would purge completely.

I noticed also that, after the pump has been running for a while, if I open up the filter air relief valve some air bleeds out for a moment before it's purely water squirting out. I'll close the valve, then if I reopen it a minute later, again some air bleeds out before it's all water.

Lastly, after I shut off the pump tonight, I stood there and observed it for a while and sure enough, water drained out of the pump very slowly until it was at the level of the inlet pipe. Every several seconds an air bubble would appear and a little more water would drain out. It looks like it's draining back out into the inlet pipe.

It definitely seems that something is wrong. What should I be checking out to try and diagnose this?

Thanks,
Greg

Hi, Greg,

It sure sounds like you have a suction side leak. The o-ring around the pump basket lid is a frequent culprit. Check to make sure it is smooth and doesn't have anything like a very small twig or a break creating a poor seal.

Another culprit is the drain plugs at the bottom of the basket....some pumps have one and some have two. Make sure they're tight and not sucking air when the pump is on.

Essentially, air is getting into the system somewhere between the pump and where the pipes that bring water from the pool enter the ground. Check all the connections, unions, fittings.....anywhere air can slip in.

Thanks duraleigh....what you said in your post is kind of what I was suspecting. The o-ring seemed OK the other night when I was checking this out, but I really didn't examine it super closely. This weekend during the day I'll take a good close look. I'll also check the drain plugs under the pump basket. I guess I'll just have to hope that it's something that doesn't take too long to spot. Thanks again.

Greg

Ted, thanks so much for the reminder about that article. Tomorrow I'll get out there and dribble water at all the various points where there's likely to be an air leak and check it out. Thanks again!

It's high time I just sit down for a bit and peruse lots of the articles in Pool School!

Well, the technique worked! It appeared that there was a little bit of water around the area of the "main" suction valve, the one that determines whether I drawing from the pool or spa. So I started pouring a little water over the actuator, letting it trickle down over the actuator and the valve, and sure enough after about half a minute the pump basket area was completely full of water again with no air bubbles!

Even though the valve is a Jandy "Neverlube", I have heard plenty of folks say that taking it apart and lubricating the o-rings inside indeed fixed a leak problem. I may give that a go tomorrow.

Thanks again...the advice helped me confirm the problem area!

Greg

I have one of these three way jandy valves also. I also am having the same problem you did. I haven't done the leak detection yet to confirm where it's coming from, but did you get your problem solved? I also read somewhere else about putting pvc glue around the connection and letting the leak suck in the glue, thereby sealing itself...?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.